This super creamy and delicious Healthy Pumpkin Hot Chocolate is like pumpkin pie in a cup! If you’re in need of some cozy comfort with a big dash of flavor, look no further! This autumn beverage made with cacao powder, plant-based milk, pumpkin puree and a dash of warming spices is a nutritious way to get your pumpkin fix sans guilt. Vegan, dairy-free, soy-free, gluten-free + refined sugar-free!
Once the weather turns cooler, I’m all about cacao everything. And, this healthy hot chocolate recipe is no exception! With a pumpkin twist, this cozy autumn beverage will have you feeling all warm and fuzzy inside with its super creamy, deliciousness!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Super rich, creamy and silky.
- Packed with flavor.
- Super easy to make.
- Cozy, comforting and truly heart-warming.
- Gluten-free, vegan, dairy-free, soy-free, refined sugar-free with nut-free + sugar-free options!
- Plant-based milk or dairy milk if you are not dairy-free or vegan.
- Maple syrup, or sweetener of choice (see Tips section below in post).
- Cacao powder.
- Pumpkin puree.
- Coconut oil.
Note: for full recipe ingredients and amounts, scroll to the recipe card towards the bottom of this post.
How to Make Healthy Hot Chocolate with Pumpkin - Step by Step
- Combine all ingredients in a blender.
2. Blend until smooth.
3. Heat, serve, and enjoy!
Alternatively: Check out this fun post on how to make hot chocolate in a coffee maker— you can blend the ingredients sans milk, then follow the steps in this post.
I love to use unsweetened vanilla almond in this recipe, but cashew and coconut are also great options. And, if you are not on a vegan or dairy-free diet, regular dairy milk works well, too!
Be certain to use a pumpkin puree that is nothing more than pure pumpkin (no other added ingredients). My favorite store-bought pumpkin puree is an organic one from Thrive Market.
I love how maple syrup complements pumpkin, but raw honey, agave syrup, coconut sugar and coconut nectar are also great options. If you are on a sugar-free diet, this sugar-free maple syrup is a great option.
Make it Frothy
Do you like your warm beverages super creamy and frothy? Then I highly recommend using a milk frother after you’ve poured this healthy hot chocolate into your mug!
Healthy Pumpkin Hot Chocolate — Common Recipe Questions
- Cacao or Cocoa?
Cacao adds extra nutritional benefits compared to cocoa powder, which is processed, but if you’re just going for some deliciousness - cocoa powder can be used without any further adjustments to the recipe! You can read more about cacao powder in this Hot Cacao post.
- Why Coconut Oil?
For a nice dose of healthy fats and a dash of extra creaminess! If coconut oil is not your deal, you can certainly omit if need be.
- Do I Have to Use a Blender?
No! I find blending it makes for the smoothest option, but you can also simply whisk while heating on the stovetop until all is mostly dissolved and smooth!
Are you a dark chocolate fan? Check out this dark hot chocolate recipe!
More Cacao Powder Recipes
More Pumpkin Recipes
Sweet & Spicy Pumpkin Seed Bread (Gluten-Free)
More Cozy Beverages
If you try this recipe please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, share this post, use Pinterest's "tried it" feature, or take a photo, & tag me on Instagram and I'll share it! Thank you so much! <3
Healthy Pumpkin Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups plant-based or dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup see Tips section above in post for other options
- 1 teaspoon unrefined coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons pure pumpkin puree
- In a blender or food processor combine milk, cacao powder, maple syrup, coconut oil and spices. Blend until smooth.
- Add pumpkin puree. Blend until smooth and frothy.
- Pour into a saucepan and heat over medium heat until warmed throughout.
- Pour into a mug, optionally sprinkle with ground ginger (+ a good stir), and enjoy!