A super creamy Aubergine Curry packed with perfectly balanced flavors and a touch of spice. This filling and comforting eggplant curry is certain to satisfy your comfort food cravings! Vegan and gluten-free.
Servings: 4 people
- 2 tablespoons coconut or avocado oil
- 2 aubergines (eggplants) cut into 1" cubes
- 1 white or yellow onion diced
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2" knob fresh ginger root grated or minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar or sweetener of choice
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes (optional)
- 1 13.5-ounce can full fat coconut milk
- 1 13.5-ounce can water I simply fill the coconut milk can with water!
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- sea salt or pink salt to taste
In a large pot or pan heat oil over medium-high heat. Add aubergine/eggplant. Saute for 7 minutes. Set aubergine/eggplant aside.
To the same pan add garlic, ginger and onion. Saute for 5 minutes.
Return the eggplant to the pan. Add tomato paste, curry powder, coconut sugar, cumin seeds, coriander, garam masala and red chili flakes. Stir until all is well incorporated.
Add coconut milk and water. Turn heat to high, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes or until a nice creamy consistency is achieved.
Turn off heat and stir in cilantro. Salt to taste.
Serve and enjoy!
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 165kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 78mg | Potassium: 696mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 203IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 53mg | Iron: 2mg