Gluten-Free Cauliflower Cheese
This Gluten-Free Cauliflower Cheese is my GF spin on a traditional British dish. Perfect as a main course or side dish, this cheesy deliciousness makes for a delightful dose of comfort!
Servings: 4 people
- 1 head cauliflower sliced into large florets
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 bay leaf dried
- ¼ cup gluten-free all purpose flour with or without xanthan gum
- 2 cups milk of choice we like oat
- 1 tablespoon mustard dijon, english or stoneground
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt or pink salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese plus extra (1-2 tablespoons) for sprinkling on top
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free breadcrumbs
- olive oil for greasing pan
Prepare your head of cauliflower by slicing off the leafy end, then slicing (or breaking) into large florets. Place the cauliflower in a pot of salted water and gently boil for 5 minutes, or until fork-tender. Drain, then set aside.
In a pot over medium heat add butter, minced garlic and the bay leaf. Saute for 2-3 minutes or until the garlic is turning golden. Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes longer, stirring frequently.
Add milk and whisk frequently until the sauce begins to visibly thicken (1-2 minutes). Stir in mustard, salt and pepper. Turn off heat, then stir in shredded cheese until you have a nice thick and creamy cheese sauce. Preheat oven to 400°F.
Prepare a baking dish or pan by drizzling with a little olive oil. Add the cooked cauliflower to the cheese sauce. Toss to coat. Pour into prepared baking pan. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and 1-2 tablespoons of shredded cheese. Place into preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes or until all is golden and bubbly.
Let cool a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 414kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 82mg | Sodium: 1110mg | Potassium: 501mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 834IU | Vitamin C: 70mg | Calcium: 602mg | Iron: 1mg