Gluten Free Strawberry Shortcake
This easy and luscious Gluten-Free Strawberry Shortcake recipe requires only one bowl and is filled with simple, wholesome ingredients. This healthy summer dessert is naturally egg-free, with a vegan and dairy-free option.
Servings: 7 shortcakes
- 1 ½ cups gluten-free all purpose flour blend with xanthan gum
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoon coconut sugar or any granulated sugar divided (see recipe)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt or pink salt
- ¼ cup cold, cubed butter or plant-based butter
- ¾ cup milk of choice I like to use oat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract gluten-free certified, if necessary
- 1 pound sliced fresh (or thawed frozen) strawberries approximately 3 cups
- regular or dairy-free whipped cream for serving
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Grease or line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then set aside.
In a mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, 1 tablespoon of sugar and salt. Mix well.
Add the cold, cubed butter and using a pastry cutter or a fork, work the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs.
Add the milk and vanilla. Mix until a smooth batter forms.
Using a large spoon or ice cream scoop, scoop mounds of batter onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for 13 minutes or until bottoms are browning and tops are turning golden.
Meanwhile, prepare strawberries by mixing the sliced strawberries with 2 tablespoons of sugar. Using your hands or a fork, mix and mash the strawberries a little to release their juices. Set aside.
When the shortcakes are done, let them cool a few minutes. Serve shortcakes whole or sliced, topped with strawberry mixture and a dollop of whipped cream. Enjoy!
Serving: 1shortcake | Calories: 191kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 17mg | Sodium: 358mg | Potassium: 102mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 210IU | Vitamin C: 38mg | Calcium: 162mg | Iron: 1mg