Spicy Roasted Red Pepper & Chipotle Pumpkin Seed Pasta Bowl (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
This gluten-free and vegan pasta dish is bursting with flavorful roasted red peppers, ground chipotle pepper and its secret ingredient of homemade pumpkin seed milk! Topped off with pepitas, cilantro, red chili flakes and nutritional yeast, it makes for one big, spicy and delicious bowl of healthy comfort food.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 8 oz package gluten-free pasta of choice I use elbows
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 1/2 onion
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon chickpea / garbanzo bean flour OR gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut cream optional
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- to taste sea salt
- to optionally garnish: pepitas / pumpkin seeds nutritional yeast, oregano, chili flakes
Cook pasta according to package directions. Set aside.
Prepare your pumpkin seed milk: In a high speed blender or food processor combine pumpkin seeds and water. Blend until smooth. Strain in a nut-milk bag or cheesecloth, and set aside.
To a high speed blender or food processor combine red peppers, onion, garlic, flour, coconut cream, vinegar, sugar, ground chipotle, red chili flakes and pumpkin seed milk. Blend until smooth.
In a large skillet or pot heat olive oil over medium heat. Add blended pasta sauce. Simmer until you reached your desired consistency / thickness. Salt to taste.
Stir in pasta. Serve and top with desired garnishes.
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 193kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 486mg | Potassium: 236mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 222IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 2mg