This delicious avocado crema recipe with lime is smooth, creamy, flavorful, and naturally gluten-free and vegetarian.
The flavors in this delicious sauce are a refreshing alternative to those found in heavier, richer sauces. I like to serve it alongside a good hot sauce so there is a cooling component when in need of relief. If you are a fan of guacamole, you will love this light and creamy condiment that takes nearly any savory dish to a whole other level! Enjoy.
💚 Why You Will Love This Recipe
- It really doesn’t get much easier than this recipe when it comes to a tasty sauce!
- This creamy avocado sauce is super versatile and can be enjoyed in a large variety of ways.
- It’s fresh, tangy, savory and super creamy.
- This avocado cream sauce is naturally gluten-free, keto, low-carb friendly, nut-free, sugar-free, and can easily be made vegan or dairy-free.
🥑 Ingredients and Substitutes
Avocado: Use a nice ripe avocado with vibrant flesh for the best results.
Sour cream: A good quality sour cream will really shine here so do not be afraid to splurge! If you do not have sour cream, a nice plain Greek yogurt will do the trick. Alternatively, if you are on a vegan or dairy-free diet, use a plant-based sour cream to make a vegan avocado crema instead. My favorite vegan sour cream is made by Forager Project.
Lime juice: Fresh lime juice tastes the best, but if you only have bottled on hand, it will get the job done. Alternatively, if you are out of lime juice, you can replace it with lemon juice or even apple cider vinegar if need be.
Garlic powder: A touch garlic powder really enhances all of the other ingredients used in this recipe. If you do not have garlic powder, a clove of garlic is a suitable substitute.
Salt: I like to use 3/4 teaspoon of salt in this recipe, but feel free to use less or more depending on what suits your own tastes.
🥣 How to Make Avocado Crema
- Combine all of the avocado lime crema ingredients into a blender or food processor.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Optionally, garnish with fresh cilantro leaves before serving.
This delicious sauce tastes best made and served fresh, but it will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
🌮 Serving Ideas
- Drizzle this sauce on tacos to take taco night up a notch.
- Use as a dip for fries, bell pepper strips or tortilla chips.
- Serve as a dressing for salads.
- Top off a plate of nachos.
- Serve on the side of quesadillas, burritos, or enchiladas.
- Add a dollop on the side of burrito bowls, buddha bowls or rice bowls.
❓ Frequently Asked Questions
Avocado crema is a super smooth, creamy, light and refreshing sauce that acts as a nice contrast to heavier, richer sauces such as hot sauce. It has tangy notes from the sour cream and grassy notes from the avocado.
To speed up the process of ripening an avocado, place an unripe avocado into a paper bag with a banana and close it tightly. This will speed up the process significantly.
More Delicious Sauce Recipes
- 1 ripe avocado peeled and pitted
- ½ cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons lime juice fresh or bottled
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- fresh cilantro optional garnish
- In a blender or food processor, combine the avocado, sour cream, lime juice, salt and garlic powder.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Optionally, garnish with fresh cilantro before serving. Enjoy!