This super creamy, flavorful Romesco Sauce recipe is made with almond butter for ease and convenience! Romesco has many uses as we’ll cover in this vibrant recipe post! This vegan recipe comes from my cookbook, The Vegetarian Family Cookbook.
🥣 What is Romesco?
Romesco is a sauce with its roots in Catalonia, Spain. While traditionally made with whole nuts, we use almond butter as an easier, but just as delicious spin!
- Super creamy.
- Quick and easy to make.
- Rich and flavorful.
- Versatile and can be used a variety of ways.
- Naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan and soy-free.
🥘 Ingredient Notes
Roasted red peppers: I like to use a nice jar of organic roasted red peppers, but you can certainly roast your own red peppers if you prefer!
Tomatoes: This alongside the roasted red peppers really forms the base of this sauce. I do not recommend omitting, but in a pinch, a handful of cherry tomatoes, canned diced tomatoes or even tomato paste will do.
Almond butter: Be certain to use a nice thick and creamy salt-free variety. If you are allergic to almonds, any nut or seed butter will do in a pinch!
Olive oil: This is a good recipe to use a higher quality olive oil in, as the better the quality, the better the romesco!
Parsley: This fresh herb adds a bit of freshness, but can be omitted for a still-tasty sauce if you do not have it on hand.
Sun dried tomatoes: This adds a delightful smokiness and tanginess to the recipe that is hard to duplicate, so I do not recommend omitting it.
Smoked paprika: I only recommend using the smoked variety of paprika over the Hungarian variety, as you really need that extra dash of smokiness to make the sauce what it is.
For full ingredients list and instructions, refer to the recipe card toward the bottom of this post.
🍽 Romesco Sauce Uses
This delicious sauce can be used a variety of ways. Here are some of our favorites ways to use Romesco:
- Over pasta.
- Tossed with gnocchi.
- As a sandwich or wrap spread.
- Used as a dip for your favorite crackers, chips or bread.
- Drizzled as a salad dressing.
- For topping off roasted veggies or buddha bowls with.
Here’s a list of the best Spanish tapas, perfect for serving alongside romesco! And if you need a refreshing Spanish dish, why not try gaspacho!
💭 FAQ and Expert Tips
How do I store Romesco Sauce?
This sauce is great served right away or can be stored in the fridge in air-tight containers for up to one week.
🧂 More Sauce Recipes You Will Love
Easy Romesco Sauce Recipe (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
- 1 16-ounce jar roasted red peppers
- 2 medium tomatoes halved
- 3 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup almond butter
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup packed fresh parsley stems included
- 2 teaspoons sun-dried tomatoes roughly chopped (they blend better this way)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or pink salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes (optional) add if you want a slight spicy kick
- Blend all the ingredients in a blender or food processor.
- Use right away or keep stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.