This Mango Salsa is always a hit whether serving as an everyday dish or while entertaining a crowd. With ripe juicy mangos, lime, and a subtle touch of spice, the well-rounded flavors complement a large variety of dishes. This salsa recipe can also be found in my cookbook, The Vegetarian Family Cookbook.
This fresh mango salsa is a dish I have been making for years! I definitely had to include it in my cookbook and also share it here for you to enjoy. Its versatility is one of my favorite things about this recipe. And, the flavors are out-of-this-world addictive! I can’t wait for you to see for yourself. This is absolutely one of my favorite recipes! Enjoy.
❤️ Why You Will Love This Recipe
- This mango salsa is packed with vibrant and fresh ingredients.
- Mango salsa can be served and enjoyed in a variety of ways.
- It’s super quick and easy to make!
- Leftover mango salsa tastes even better after a few days in the refrigerator (much like a curry!).
- Naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, nut-free, soy-free, and no-sugar-added.
🥭 Ingredients and Substitutions
Mango: Use soft (but still a bit firm), ripe mangoes that are nice and aromatic, for the best-tasting salsa recipe, as you really want the sweetness of the mango to pull through.
Bell pepper: I like to use red bell pepper for that pop of color, but any kind of bell pepper will do to add a nice fresh crunch.
Cilantro: Fresh cilantro tastes amazing in this fresh mango salsa recipe. But if you are not a fan of cilantro, simply omit it or use fresh parsley instead.
Lime juice: Bottled or fresh lime juice adds the necessary acid to this fruit salsa. If you do not have tart lime juice, lemon juice will work in a pinch.
Oil: A neutral and healthy oil like extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil helps balance the flavors and bring it all together.
Onion or shallot: I like to use red onion or shallot, but a white onion or yellow onion will work, too. You just want that savory onion flavor to balance the sweetness in this recipe. For a slightly different but still delicious flavor profile, use sliced green onions instead.
Jalapeno pepper: A jalapeño pepper adds flavor, texture, and subtle spiciness. If you love spice, feel free to increase the jalapeno peppers or use a spicier chile like habanero or a serrano pepper instead for a spicier salsa.
Garlic: Fresh garlic really works in this salsa and lends itself to the perfect combination. If you do not have fresh garlic, use a pinch of garlic powder instead.
Salt and pepper: And no salsa recipe is complete without a little salt and pepper. These simply bring out all of the flavors in this homemade mango salsa.
🔪 How to Make Mango Salsa
- To make fresh mango salsa, use a sharp knife and a cutting board to chop the ingredients.
- Then, simply combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Give all a good mix.
🍴How to Serve Mango Salsa
- Serve this sweet salsa alongside your favorite tortilla chips for dipping.
- Serve this colorful mango salsa on tacos, burritos, or enchiladas.
- Use this vibrant mango salsa as a salad topping or wrap filling.
- Serve as the perfect topping for rice or quinoa, or atop burrito bowls. This is of my favorite ways to enjoy it!
- Top off scrambled eggs.
- Use as a spring roll filling.
- If not vegan, this mango salsa is similar to pico de gallo in that it makes an excellent condiment for fish tacos.
- If you are looking for something more filling and some added protein, mix some black beans into this salsa for something a bit different.
💭 Frequently Asked Questions
Mangos have a large pit in the center. I like to slice 4 sides off an unpeeled mango, working around the pit. Using a knife, I cut a crosshatch pattern into the fruit of each slice. The little cubes of mango are then easily scraped off with a spoon.
Yes! This fresh fruit salsa can be served fresh straight away or stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Yes, you can. While the spicy jalapeño adds a bit of spice, this salsa is not overwhelmingly spicy, thanks to the natural sweetness of the mangos. If you are still apprehensive, you can omit it or use an entire bell pepper in the recipe rather than half of one.
🌶 More Salsa Recipes You Might Enjoy
The Best Mango Salsa Recipe
- 2 ripe mangos peeled and diced
- 1 onion or shallot finely chopped, I like to use red onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper finely chopped (or habanero if you like more spice!)
- ½ bell pepper chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 lime juiced, about 2 ½ teaspoons of juice
- ½ sea salt or pink salt
- ⅛ freshly ground black pepper
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients.
- Gently mix to combine. Serve right away or keep stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.