Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. This blog generates income through affiliate links at no extra cost to you.
A sweet & tart apple strawberry crisp brought to life with a subtle polenta crunch! This tasty and healthy gluten-free & vegan fruit crisp is sure to please the senses!
With this delightful crisp, I bring you something a bit different. . .
. . . with my family on a bit of a fruit kick recently, I knew it was time for a crisp, but I found myself craving something other than your standard oat fruit crisp fare.
With a little experimentation, I discovered that the tart sweetness of apples and strawberries make for a match made in heaven when paired with a bit of polenta crunch!
If you've never had a crisp made with polenta before, you are most certainly in for a treat - it is beyond delish! Enjoy.
Tips for Apple Strawberry Crisp
- Do you want to make this gluten-free crisp sugar-free? This is my favorite coconut sugar replacement!
- The tapioca starch can be replaced with arrowroot starch or cassava flour for similar results.
- You can use lemon juice instead of apple cider vinegar for similar results, if you prefer.
- Due to the unique nature of almond flour, I do not recommend replacing it with anything else. It works quite beautifully when combined with polenta, too!
- This polenta tastes best straight out of the oven, but will keep covered at room temp for 24 hours or alternatively, keep covered in the refrigerator for up to one week and re-heat in a 350 degree oven until warmed throughout.
Strawberry Apple Crisp with Polenta
- 1 lb strawberries approx. 3 cups, quartered
- 3 apples any variety, peeled & finely chopped
- 2 tbs coconut sugar
- 1 tbs tapioca starch
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup polenta or grits/coarse cornmeal
- 5 tbs butter or non-dairy spread or melted coconut oil for vegan option, room temperature
- 3 tbs coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In an 8″ or 9″ square or round baking dish combine all filling ingredients. Toss to coat. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all topping ingredients. Using your hands or a spatula, gently mix until you have a coarse sand like texture.
- Evenly distribute your topping mixture over your filling mixture.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until bubbling and turning golden.
- Let cool a few minutes before serving.