Loaded with tofu, crisp veggies, delicious teriyaki sauce, garlic, and sesame seeds, this recipe is the perfect option for a quick, gluten-free, and plant-based lunch or dinner.
This teriyaki tofu stir fry is by all means addictive! Aside from this, it is also an amazing and easy way to boost your daily vegetable intake. You can use almost any kind of veggies; it's impossible to go wrong with this tasty combo. And since you'll be making it in a wok, the cooking process will be quick and hassle-free.
When creating this recipe, I wanted to make a quick, easy, and, of course, incredibly delicious dish. So I decided to keep the ingredients list simple and as short as possible.
Here's what you should prepare for this vegan tofu stir fry:
- Tofu — extra firm tofu will be the best type since it'll hold together when stir-frying;
- Tapioca starch — also known as tapioca flour. It's a healthy alternative to cornstarch, and you'll need it for coating the tofu cubes;
- Teriyaki sauce — you can use practically almost any teriyaki sauce that you prefer. My personal favorite is the Coconut Secret Teriyaki Sauce since it's low in sodium and has a low glycemic index. So I usually go with this one;
- Avocado oil — I love to use this oil for stir-frying, but if you want, you can definitely substitute it with either olive oil or coconut oil;
- Vegetables — broccoli, bell peppers, carrots, peas, mushrooms, anything that you wish will be perfect for this recipe. Most of the time, I use a frozen stir fry vegetable mix.
- Garlic — the garlic flavor takes this dish to the next level. If you like garlic powder more, you can add one teaspoon of it instead. But trust me, using fresh garlic is best;
You can also add some salt and ground black pepper to enhance the taste of the dish. But be very careful when adding them since it's very easy to make this tofu stir fry too salty.
To see the needed amount of each ingredient, check out the recipe card at the bottom of this page.
How to Make Tofu Stir Fry
Before getting to the main part, you need to know one more thing: this dish is cooked on a wok. I have an electric stove, which is why I used a Kenmore carbon steel wok.
I know that you might be wondering why not just use a skillet instead of a wok. The answer is quite simple: woks are better for stir-frying and can cook food faster than a skillet. For more information on woks and tips, click here.
Now that you've gathered everything, here are the steps that you should take to make this tofu and vegetables stir fry:
- Prepare the tofu. Drain it, place it under some weight to remove excess moisture, and cut into cubes.
- Coat the tofu cubes. Just place both the tofu cubes and tapioca flour into a bowl and toss the bowl to spread the flour around the tofu evenly.
- Stir fry the tofu. Preheat a wok, pour the oil, and stir fry the tofu cubes until light brown. Then remove the tofu and set it aside.
- Stir fry the veggies. Place the vegetables in the wok and cook them until tender-crisp.
- Finish off. Place the tofu back into the wok, add the teriyaki sauce, garlic, salt, and pepper.
Garnish the cooked dish with sesame seeds and chopped green onion. Enjoy!
This tofu veggie stir fry is very fulfilling, so you can just serve it as is. I love to sprinkle it with some sesame seeds and chopped green onions. They double the flavor and make the dish even more appealing.
If you want, you can serve it on top of some brown rice, noodles, or this cauliflower fried rice.
Let this tofu stir fry cool completely before storing. After that, you can keep it in your refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can either place it in an airtight container or cover it with some plastic food wrap.
Then whenever you wish to serve it, just reheat it in a wok or skillet over medium heat. Or let your microwave do the job.
If you want to prep this dish beforehand, I do not recommend freezing it. It won't have the same texture after you thaw it. But if you want to make this recipe even faster, you can use pre-cooked veggies.
You Might Also Like
Teriyaki Tofu Recipe
- 1 8 oz package extra-firm tofu drained, pressed, and cubed
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos teriyaki sauce
- 4 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 cups stir fry veggies frozen or raw
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 green onion stalks chopped (for topping)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds for topping
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- In a bowl, coat the cubed tofu with tapioca starch. Toss the bowl to spread the starch evenly.
- Pour three tablespoons of avocado oil into your wok and place it over medium heat. Once the oil is heated, add the coated tofu cubes. Stir fry them until they turn light brown on all sides (for about 10 minutes). Remove the tofu from the wok and place it aside.
- Throw the veggies into the wok and stir fry them until desired tenderness. Once ready, place the tofu back into the wok.
- Pour the teriyaki sauce together with one tablespoon of olive oil into the wok. Add the minced garlic and stir. Stir fry for a few more minutes.
- Remove the wok from heat.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and chopped green onions over the tofu stir-fry. Serve immediately.