Thick, chewy, easy and delicious 5 ingredient gluten-free, dairy-free, flourless, refined sugar-free Chocolate Chip Tahini Cookies!
These amazing chocolate chip cookies are not only gluten free, they are flour free as well! Thick, chewy, full of wholesome ingredients and incredibly easy to make; these delicious cookies will become a household staple in no time!
As you may have noticed by now, I am huge fan of tahini. Not only is tahini delicious, healthy, and chock-full of protein, it also magically transforms when placed into baked goods — mimicking even the best of flours.
And the pairing of tahini with chocolate? Always a good thing. The taste is out-of-this-world!
These tahini chocolate chip cookies exceeded my expectations. While I knew they would be tasty, I was most certainly surprised by the incredible texture that I encountered. Fluffy, moist, chewy but with slightly crispy edges – simply put, they are perfect.
If you are looking for a fun, easy and healthy indulgence, look no further — you will be more than pleased by the magic that you find here!
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Delightfully thick and chewy, with slightly crisp edges.
- Hearty, filling and satisfying.
- Filled with protein and healthy fats.
- Super easy to make, and only require one bowl.
- Gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, nut-free, refined sugar-free.
📔 Ingredient Notes
Coconut sugar: I love the flavor and nutrition coconut sugar provides, but any granulated sweetener will do. Dark brown sugar makes a great replacement, in particular! If you would love to use a liquid sweetener like maple syrup or honey, I recommend using half liquid sweetener, half granulated.
Egg: This acts as the binding agent and contributes to the chewy texture.
Vanilla extract: This really enhances the chocolate flavor.
Salt: The touch of salt really brings out all of the flavors.
Tahini: Make sure to use a well-mixed, creamy tahini to prevent adding more oil than tahini to the recipe.
Chocolate chips: Semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips work well in this recipe, as do chocolate chunks (you can simply break up a dark chocolate bar or the like).
🥣 How-to Make
- In a mixing bowl, cream the sugar and egg together.
- Using a rubber spatula, stir in the vanilla, sea salt and tahini until a smooth, glossy batter forms (it will be somewhat loose, that’s okay!).
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips or chunks.
- Pop the cookie dough into the freezer for 15 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the batter from the freezer and scoop rounded tablespoons of dough onto the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 13-16 minutes or until golden and firm.
- Gently place on a wire rack to cool.
💭 Top Tips
- The coconut sugar can be replaced with any granulated sugar of your choice.
- For sugar-free tahini cookies, I recommend using this sweetener. And these chocolate chips.
- I have not tested it without eggs for a vegan version, but I have had some feedback from readers that replacing the egg with a flax egg works well. If you try it, let me know!
- In a pinch, the vanilla extract can be omitted. It only enhances the flavor a bit.
- The chocolate chip cookie recipe works with both salted or unsalted tahini. If you aren’t a fan of salted chocolate, then I recommend using unsalted. If you use salted, omit the added salt from the recipe.
- Fun variation: This recipe works any seed or nut butter of your liking. You can replace the tahini with almond butter, peanut butter, pecan butter, sunflower butter or pumpkin seed butter for very similar results.
- This tahini cookie recipe tastes great with every variety of chocolate chip. Two of my favorites are these and these.
- It’s very important that you follow the freezing step for best results. Alternatively, you can refrigerate the dough the night before baking.
- These cookies store well at room temperature for 24 hours or in air-tight containers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
For another fun spin on cookies, check out these Chocolate Chip Cookies with Chestnut Flour from Combine Good Flavors.
If you try this recipe please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, share this post, use Pinterest’s “tried it” feature, or take a photo, & tag me on Instagram and I’ll share it! Thank you so much! <3
Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Tahini Cookies (Gluten-Free, Flourless)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or any granulated sweetener
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips of choice or chunks
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together coconut sugar and 1 egg until smooth.
- Next, stir in vanilla, salt, & tahini and mix very well until a smooth, sticky and glossy ball forms.
- Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Cover and freeze cookie batter for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Remove cookie batter from freezer.
- Using rounded tablespoons of dough, place dough balls on parchment lined cookie sheet leaving 1-1/2″ of space between them.
- Bake for 13-16 minutes or until edges begin to brown.
- Remove and let cool completely before serving.