A rich, moist, decadent gluten-free banana bread made with buckwheat flour, almond flour and raw cacao powder. This beautiful loaf is created with wholesome ingredients, and sweetened by unrefined coconut sugar, making it a scrumptious treat that is deliciously healthy any time of the day!
This bread is GOOD. I find myself to be a big fan of buckwheat and chocolate together in any form. Every single time I include those two ingredients together, I am always over-the-moon happy with the results. I simply could not wait to share this one with you guys. . .
I found this spin on banana bread to be perfectly moist, hearty and filling, and with the perfect touch of chocolate-y cacao flavor to make it taste like a super indulgent dessert, but with no guilt necessary! The blend of buckwheat and almond flours in this loaf lend it a bit of protein power, too!
Throw in the fact that it slices, hold together, and stores like a dream, and I have no doubt you'll be making this bread time and time again. I know we wil!
This Chocolate Buckwheat Banana Bread is:
Rich, moist, and delicious!
Gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, refined sugar-free.
Easy to slice & stores well.
Super easy to make!
A nutrient dense, healthy loaf filled with fiber, protein, antioxidants, iron, magnesium and calcium, to name a few!
Tips for making Buckwheat Banana Bread with Cacao Powder:
Are you looking for a nut-free bread? You can replace with almond flour with oat flour for a similar loaf.
Due to the unique nature of buckwheat flour, I do not recommend substituting it with anything else.
You can replace the coconut sugar with granulated sugar of your choice. For a sugar-free bread, I like to use this sweetener.
Want an extra chocolate-y loaf? Throw a handful of chocolate chips into the batter!
You can store this bread covered at room temperature for 2 days, or in air-tight containers in the refrigerator for up to 6 days.
More Sweet Gluten-Free Bread Recipes:
Chickpea Flour Lemon Poppy Seed Bread (Gluten-Free)
Sweet & Spicy Pumpkin Seed Bread (Gluten-Free)
Want to learn more about cacao powder? Read about cacao's health benefits HERE.
If you try this recipe please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, share this post, use Pinterest's "tried it" feature, or take a photo, & tag me on Instagram and I'll share it! Thank you so much! <3
Buckwheat Banana Bread with Cacao (Gluten-Free)
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup cacao or cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 large bananas mashed
- 1/2 cup butter softened or melted coconut oil (for dairy-free)
- 5 tbs milk of choice I use almond
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease or line a loaf pan with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl sift together buckwheat, almond and tapioca flours.
- Stir in cacao powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Mix well.
- In a different mixing bowl add your (well) mashed banana and butter. Mix until smoothly combined. Stir in milk, vanilla, egg, and vinegar. Whisk until combined.
- Pour your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients and mix until you have a smooth batter.
- Pour your batter into your prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean (or with only a few crumbs).
- Let cool completely before slicing and serving.