A warm, healthy, tasty, comforting and nourishing take on hot chocolate! This Tahini Hot Chocolate recipe is vegan, gluten-free and full of heart-healthy cacao, delicious cardamom, and protein-rich tahini. The perfect winter beverage!
I'm just a wee bit obsessed with cacao powder (not to be confused with cocoa powder). . .
Cacao powder is about the healthiest form of chocolate that you can consume. It is the product of ground raw cacao beans -- completely unprocessed unlike the cocoa powder that most of us are familiar with. And, boy does it make for one healthy hot chocolate!
Cacao Powder Health Benefits
- extremely high in anti-oxidants that combat disease, aging, pollutants, stress, and dangerous free radicals
- a serotonin booster lending it to be a great reliever of mood swings and depression
- high in iron
- high in magnesium
- high in calcium
- contains anandamide (the "bliss molecule") lending to feelings of euphoria and relaxation
- contains phenylethylamine, a natural energy and mood booster
- contains protein (protein!)
- has been shown to lower LDL (bad) cholesterol
- contains sulfur (great for healthy skin, hair, and nails!)
- has been shown to support good metabolism and healthy weight loss
Through many experimental cups, I discovered the amazingly delicious and complementary power of protein-rich tahini and flavorful cardamom paired with amazingly healthy cacao powder. This combo will blow you away, as you sink into delicious and relaxing guilt-free bliss. Enjoy! xo.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Creamy, soothing and comforting.
- Rich and chocolate-y.
- Perfectly laced with cardamom.
- Silky smooth.
- Slightly earthy and nutty with the addition of tahini.
- Easy to make.
- Healing, and packed with nutrients.
- Vegan, dairy-free, soy-free, gluten-free, and refined sugar-free.
Ingredients Needed to Make Tahini Hot Chocolate
- Plant-based milk.
Tips for Making the Best Hot Cacao
- Any dairy or non-dairy milk works well with this recipe. Our favorites? Vanilla almond, oat and coconut milk.
- While it will not have all of the amazing health benefits, in a pinch, regular cocoa powder can be used in place of cacao powder.
- Any liquid sweetener of choice can be used in this recipe.
- To make a sugar-free hot cacao, I recommend this sweetener.
- The vanilla extract can be omitted for a still-tasty hot cacao recipe!
More Vegan Drink Recipes
More Tahini Recipes
More Cacao Recipes
Hot Cacao with Cardamom + Tahini (Vegan)
- 2 cups milk of choice I like unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 5 tbs organic cacao powder
- 3 tbs maple syrup
- 2 tbs tahini
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 green cardamon pod contents freshly ground (or 1/4 tsp ground cardamom)
- optionally ground cardamom or cinnamon for garnishing
- In a sauce pan over medium heat combine all of the above ingredients.
- Whisk continually until all is smoothly combined, beginning to bubble and appears frothy.
- Carefully pour into mug(s), and optionally sprinkle with a little cardamom or cinnamon.