Perfectly soft, chewy and pillowy Gluten-Free Thumbprint Cookies made with coconut flour, cacao powder, chocolate chunks, almond butter and a dusting of sea salt. These delicious cookies are easy to make, free of refined sugar and make a great healthy treat any time of the day!
These delicious cookies are genuinely my new favorite thing since I first created them. Firstly, their texture is quite addictive - you just want to keep eating them. Secondly, they are not super sweet - they have just the right amount of sweetness. Thirdly, they are quite fun to make and are a great make-with-your-kids kind of cookie.
You get to choose what kind of chocolate you place within your thumbprint - milk, dark, dairy-free, sugar-free, you name it - it works! But, the dusting of sea salt truly ties together all of the flavors. So, please don’t skimp on that!
I hope you love these little healthy and tasty cookies as much as we do. Since first creating this recipe I’ve now made them several times and I can say that they are now a staple recipe in our household! I hope the same becomes of you. Enjoy! xo.
Why This Recipe Works
These Salted Chocolate Coconut Flour Thumbprint Cookies are:
- Fun and easy to make.
- High in fiber and protein.
- Free from refined sugar (so long as you use refined sugar-free chocolate chunks!).
- Super delicious.
- Just the right amount of sweet.
- Filled with pleasing textures.
- Great as leftovers and store well in the fridge for a quick healthy treat.
- Gluten-free and dairy-free (so long as you use dairy-free chocolate!).
How to Make Gluten Free Thumbprint Cookies
- Preheat the oven.
- Mix the cookie dough.
- Roll the dough into balls.
- Press your thumb into each dough ball.
- Place a chocolate chunk into each thumb indentation. Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake and enjoy!
Yes. You can replace the eggs with 2 flax eggs to makes these coconut flour cookies vegan.
Yes. You can replace the maple syrup with any liquid or granulated sugar of your choosing.
Yes. You can replace the almond butter with tahini or sunflower seed butter for nut-free version of these thumbprint cookies.
You Might Also Like These Cookie Recipes
Chocolate Almond Butter Gluten Free Thumbprint Cookies
- 1/2 cup creamy almond butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon cacao or cocoa powder optional
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt + more for sprinkling
- 1 chocolate bar of choice divided into 12 chunks
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine almond butter, maple syrup, eggs and oil. Whisk until smooth.
- In another bowl combine coconut flour, cacao powder, baking soda, cinnamon and sea salt. Mix until combined.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet and mix until smoothly combined. Let the batter sit a few minutes to let the coconut flour absorb the liquid.
- Using wet hands, grab large rounded tablespoon portions of dough. Roll into balls. Place on cookie sheet and then using your thumb, gently press and flatten the center of each cookie.
- Place one chocolate chunk into each thumbprint.
- Sprinkle cookies with a light dusting of sea salt.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cookies are firm and edges are beginning to turn golden.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before serving.