Last Updated on
These amazing Vegan + Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies are made with sunflower and/or pumpkin seeds for a delightful texture, flavor, and added nutrition! No almond flour is to be found in this healthy cookie recipe that is fun, easy to make, nut-free and perfectly chewy, too!
These cookies are truly something special. I was in an experimental mood, not so sure how this would turn out, and the result? Positively splendid. I’ve since made these several times, and each time they win me over again and again! I can only hope you agree!
Often you’ll find that almond flour is used in gluten-free vegan cookie recipes, but let me tell you – seed flour takes the cake in this delightful nut-free recipe!
These Vegan + Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies are:
Perfectly soft and chewy with slightly crisp edges. The best of all worlds, texture-wise!
Super quick and easy to make, with a simple one bowl prep.
Filled with protein, fiber and healthy fats.
Gluten-Free, dairy-free, vegan, soy-free, nut-free, and refined sugar-free.
What do I Need to Make The Best Vegan and Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies?
How to Make Perfect Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
Blend seeds into a coarse flour.
Mix with remaining ingredients.
Roll into balls then flatten.
Bake at 350°F for 13 minutes.
Tips for Making Chocolate Chip Cookies with Seed Flour:
You can use any combo of sunflower and pumpkin seeds you would like. I’ve found it works well with either or both. Unsalted tastes best in my opinion, but in a pinch salted seeds can be used. Just be certain to omit the added salt in the recipe.
I haven’t tested it yet myself, but I do think a gluten-free all purpose blend would work well to replace brown rice and tapioca flours in this recipe. If you try it, let me know!
The optional acacia fiber or psyllium husk lends itself to a slightly chewier cookie that also stays moist longer when left out. Not necessary at all, but simply adds a little extra something.
I love the addition of cinnamon to chocolate chip cookies. I think it enhances the chocolate flavor in cookies, but it certainly is not necessary! Just a personal preference that you may find that you like, too.
If you do not follow a vegan or dairy-free diet, melted butter or ghee can be used in place of oil.
These cookies keep well lightly covered at room temperature for up to 48 hours.
To learn more about Sunflower Seeds + find 24 Vegan & Gluten-Free Sunflower Seed Recipes, click HERE.
More Vegan and Gluten-Free Cookie Recipes
These truly are the BEST Vegan Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies that you can make! The addition of seed flour makes for a most delightful texture and flavor. I cannot wait to hear what you think, too! Enjoy. xo.
If you try this recipe please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, share this post, use Pinterest’s “tried it” feature, or take a photo, & tag me on Instagram and I’ll share it! Thank you so much! <3
- 1 cup unsalted sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds or a blend
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon acacia fiber or psyllium husk powder (optional, see tips section above)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt or pink salt
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil, avocado oil or olive oil
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips of choice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a food processor or blender add the seeds. Blend until a coarse flour-like powder forms.
- Pour the seed flour, brown rice flour, tapioca flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and optional cinnamon + acacia/psyllium. Stir to combine.
- Pour maple syrup and oil into flour mixture. Whisk until smooth.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Roll into approximately 16 golfball sized rounds. Place each round on the parchement paper lined cookies sheet. Flatten each round with the palms of your hands.
- Bake for 13 minutes or until the edges are beginning to brown and all is turning golden.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before serving.
Please see the TIPS section above in the post for valuable information.
Looking for seed-free cookies? Check out these Gluten-Free Vegan Sorghum Flour Cookies.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Go Raw Sprouted Seeds, Unsalted Mix, 1 lb. Bag (Pack of 2)
- Bob's Red Mill Tapioca Flour - 16 Ounce - 2 Pk
- Anthony's Brown Rice Flour, 5lbs, Batch Tested and Verified Gluten Free, Product of USA
- Gotham Steel 1389 Nonstick Copper Cookie Sheet and Jelly Roll Baking Pan 12" x 17" – 1 PACK, Brown
- Organic Acacia Fiber Powder (30 Ounce): Natural, Whole Food, Plant Based Prebiotic Superfood for Gut Health
- Pascha Chocolate Baking Chip, 85% Caca, 8.8 oz
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 192Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 647mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 9gProtein: 3g