This creamy and comforting oat milk hot chocolate recipe is naturally sweetened, vegan, and gluten-free.
❤️ Why You Will Love This Recipe
- This is a super quick and easy hot cocoa recipe.
- Just four simple ingredients!
- Packed with a big chocolate flavor with hints of vanilla and oat.
- This is an extraordinarily creamy hot chocolate recipe.
- It is an extremely cozy and comforting vegan hot chocolate.
- Sweet, but not too sweet. Just right!
- Naturally vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, nut-free, soy-free, and refined sugar-free.
🥛 Ingredients and Substitutes
Oat milk: Oat milk is extremely creamy and perfect for a hot chocolate recipe, whether you are dairy-free or not. Oat milk can vary in flavor from brand to brand, so just be certain to use one that you like. My favorite oat milk brand is Califia Farms.
Vanilla extract: While this ingredient isn’t entirely necessary, I find it really elevates the taste of this recipe, greatly enhancing that dark chocolate flavor and the notes of oat.
Maple syrup: I find the flavor of maple syrup really fits well with the other flavors in this recipe. If you do not have maple syrup, my second choice would be coconut sugar. If you are not vegan, you can use raw honey instead, too.
Cacao powder: This is a great recipe for using good quality fresh cacao powder in. Cacao powder is packed with extra benefits so I prefer using it over cocoa powder. But if cocoa powder is all you have, it will work just fine in this recipe.
♨️ How to Make Hot Chocolate with Oat Milk
- While this is a recipe for oat milk hot chocolate, you can swap the oat milk for another milk you enjoy. Almond milk, cashew milk, and coconut milk also work well.
- To make a spicy oat milk hot cocoa, add 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon and a small pinch of cayenne pepper.
- To serve with a little extra pizazz, top with mini marshmallows, coconut whipped cream, and chocolate shavings.
- For a peppermint version, swap the vanilla for peppermint extract instead.
For the best homemade oat milk hot chocolate, I recommend using thick and creamy oat milk with minimal added ingredients for the best results. Avoid oat milk that is thin, watery, and does not have a true oat flavor.
🍫 More Hot Chocolate Recipes You Might Like
Oat Milk Hot Chocolate
- 1 ½ cups oat milk
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or other sweetener of choice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the oat milk, cacao (or cocoa) powder, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Whisk over medium heat until it just starts to simmer, about 5 minutes.
- Pour into a mug and enjoy!