Disclaimer: You will find affiliate links for the products I use and love on this blog. I will earn from any purchases you make from these links, but it is at no extra cost to you. I appreciate your support!
This super creamy and delicious Healthy Pumpkin Hot Chocolate is like pumpkin pie in a cup! If you’re in need of some cozy comfort with a big dash of flavor, look no further! This autumn beverage made with cacao powder, plant-based milk, pumpkin puree and a dash of warming spices is a nutritious way to get your pumpkin fix sans guilt. Vegan, dairy-free, soy-free, gluten-free + refined sugar-free!
Once the weather turns cooler, I’m all about cacao everything. And, this healthy hot chocolate recipe is no exception! With a pumpkin twist, this cozy autumn beverage will have you feeling all warm and fuzzy inside with its super creamy, deliciousness!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Super rich, creamy and silky.
- Packed with flavor.
- Super easy to make.
- Cozy, comforting and truly heart-warming.
- Gluten-free, vegan, dairy-free, soy-free, refined sugar-free with nut-free + sugar-free options!
- Plant-based milk or dairy milk if you are not dairy-free or vegan.
- Maple syrup, or sweetener of choice (see Tips section below in post).
- Cacao powder.
- Pumpkin puree.
- Coconut oil.
Note: for full recipe ingredients and amounts, scroll to the recipe card towards the bottom of this post.
How to Make Healthy Hot Chocolate with Pumpkin - Step by Step
- Combine all ingredients in a blender.
2. Blend until smooth.
3. Heat, serve, and enjoy!
Alternatively: Check out this fun post on how to make hot chocolate in a coffee maker— you can blend the ingredients sans milk, then follow the steps in this post.
I love to use unsweetened vanilla almond in this recipe, but cashew and coconut are also great options. And, if you are not on a vegan or dairy-free diet, regular dairy milk works well, too!
I love how maple syrup complements pumpkin, but raw honey, agave syrup, coconut sugar and coconut nectar are also great options. If you are on a sugar-free diet, this sugar-free maple syrup is a great option.
Make it Frothy
Do you like your warm beverages super creamy and frothy? Then I highly recommend using a milk frother after you’ve poured this healthy hot chocolate into your mug!
Healthy Pumpkin Hot Chocolate — Common Recipe Questions
- Cacao or Cocoa?
Cacao adds extra nutritional benefits compared to cocoa powder, which is processed, but if you’re just going for some deliciousness - cocoa powder can be used without any further adjustments to the recipe! You can read more about cacao powder in this Hot Cacao post.
- Why Coconut Oil?
For a nice dose of healthy fats and a dash of extra creaminess! If coconut oil is not your deal, you can certainly omit if need be.
- Do I Have to Use a Blender?
No! I find blending it makes for the smoothest option, but you can also simply whisk while heating on the stovetop until all is mostly dissolved and smooth!
More Cacao Powder Recipes
More Pumpkin Recipes
Sweet & Spicy Pumpkin Seed Bread (Gluten-Free)
More Cozy Beverages
If you try this recipe please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, share this post, use Pinterest's "tried it" feature, or take a photo, & tag me on Instagram and I'll share it! Thank you so much! <3
Healthy Pumpkin Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups plant-based or dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup see Tips section above in post for other options
- 1 teaspoon unrefined coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons pure pumpkin puree
- In a blender or food processor combine milk, cacao powder, maple syrup, coconut oil and spices. Blend until smooth.
- Add pumpkin puree. Blend until smooth and frothy.
- Pour into a saucepan and heat over medium heat until warmed throughout.
- Pour into a mug, optionally sprinkle with ground ginger (+ a good stir), and enjoy!