This creamy and comforting ruby hot chocolate recipe is made with delicious ruby chocolate chips for a unique hot cocoa flavor. Gluten-free!
This cozy pink hot chocolate recipe is made with ruby chocolate chips not only for a beautiful subtly pink color, but a truly unique and delicious chocolate drink bursting with flavor.
🍫 What is Ruby Chocolate?
Ruby chocolate is chocolate made from ruby-colored cacao beans. It was first introduced to the market in 2017 by a chocolate company by the name of Barry Callebaut. Ruby chocolate has a unique flavor that is most similar to that of white chocolate but with tangy, fruit notes, most likely due to the addition of citric acid.
💗 Why You Will Love This Recipe
- This ruby hot chocolate is a fun recipe with a unique and satisfying taste.
- Few things are more comforting than a mug of homemade hot chocolate (a few moments of peace, anyone?)!
- It’s a great fit for Valentine’s Day, but certainly delicious any time of year as well.
- This ruby hot cocoa has a beautiful light pink color thanks to the ruby cocoa beans used to make ruby chocolate.
- Naturally vegetarian, gluten-free, and nut-free.
🥛 Ingredients and Substitutes
Ruby chocolate chips: Ruby chocolate adds all the unique flavor and chocolate here. Ruby chocolate chips have a luscious smoothness that melts into milk just perfectly for a hot drinking chocolate and its slight berry-fruitiness makes it a decadent alternative to conventional hot cocoa.
Milk: You can use any kind of milk you most prefer in this recipe. I’m a major oat milk fan, so that’s what I use, you can use regular dairy milk or any plant-based milk.
Vanilla Extract: The slightest touch of vanilla balances the sharp, acidic notes of ruby chocolate and lends a nice luscious berry finish to this recipe (ever had vanilla and berries?). If you do not have vanilla extract, a pinch of vanilla bean powder will get the job done.
How to Make Ruby Hot Chocolate
- Start by adding all of the ingredients to a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir well with a whisk until the chocolate melts completely and all have come to a slightly frothy simmer.
- Pour into a mug and enjoy right away.
🥄 Serving Ideas
- Top with a dollop of whipped cream and grated ruby chocolate.
- Serve nice a hefty dose of marshmallows.
- Stick part of a ruby chocolate bar into the mug as a makeshift stirring stick that slowly melts into the hot chocolate.
❓ Frequently Asked Questions
Ruby chocolate has been compared to white chocolate with notes of raspberries and has a sweet milky taste with slightly tangy notes.
Yes. Ruby chocolate is naturally pink chocolate made from real cocoa beans, cocoa butter, whole milk powder, citric acid, and sugar.
☕ More Delicious Hot Chocolate Recipes
Ruby Hot Chocolate
- 1 ½ cups milk of choice I like to use oat milk
- 3 tablespoons ruby chocolate chips
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add the milk, ruby chocolate chips and vanilla extract.
- Whisk well, until the chocolate is fully melted and the hot chocolate is warm and frothy, about 5 minutes.
- Pour into a favorite mug and enjoy!