This is a very easy and delicious southwest salad recipe with fresh greens, black beans, corn, and a creamy homemade southwest dressing. Gluten-free!
❤️ Why You Will Love This Recipe
- This southwest salad has all the bold flavors of the Southwest.
- This is a super easy salad recipe and can be thrown together even when short on time!
- The homemade southwest dressing used in this recipe ensures BIG flavor!
- You can very easily customize this recipe to suit your own tastes.
- Naturally gluten-free, vegetarian, nut-free, and soy-free, with a vegan and dairy-free option.
🥬 Ingredients and Substitutes
Mixed greens: Simply use a mix of your favorite salad greens or favorite lettuce (like romaine lettuce). I like to use a mix of baby arugula and spinach.
Black beans: A can of black beans adds flavor, texture, and nice doses of protein and fiber to this salad recipe. If you are not a fan of black beans, feel free to use chickpeas, pinto beans, or butter beans or omit them altogether.
Corn: Fresh corn off the cob, canned corn or frozen corn gets the job done here.
Bell pepper: Red bell pepper, green bell pepper—it all works!
Onion: A white, yellow, or red onion will add the onion flavor you need.
Cilantro: Fresh cilantro adds a pop of freshness but if you are not a fan of cilantro, feel free to use a different fresh herb such as parsley or oregano, or even omit it or use a handful of sprouts instead.
Tortilla chips: Simply crush a handful of tortilla chips to add to the salad, or if you have tortilla strips on hand, those work, too!
Cheese: This optional ingredient add additional flavor and texture. If you are not vegan, use a nice sharp shredded cheddar. If vegan or dairy-free, use shredded plant-based cheese, like Daiya.
🥗 How to Make Southwest Salad
- Simply combine all salad ingredients, toss with dressing and enjoy!
🍴 Make It Your Own
Once you get this base recipe down pat, feel free to make it your own with some of the following options.
- For additional protein, add some crispy tofu or tempeh.
- If not vegan or vegetarian, grilled chicken breast or sliced steak is a classic choice for a southwest salad.
- Add sliced cherry tomatoes.
- Add sliced avocado or a dollop of guacamole.
- Add a dollop of conventional or plant-based sour cream or plain Greek yogurt.
- Add a squeeze of lime juice before digging in.
- Serve with a side of soft tortillas and enjoy wrap-style.
❓ Frequently Asked Questions
Like most salads, southwest salad tastes best when made fresh to eat. But you can store the salad sans dressing in an airtight container for about 3 days.
There are approximately 459 calories per serving in this southwest salad recipe.
🥣 More Delicious Salad Recipes
- 2 cups mixed greens
- 1 15-ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup corn fresh, canned or thawed frozen
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup tortilla chips crushed
- ½ white, red or yellow onion chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- shredded cheddar cheese optional, vegan if necessary
- 2 cups Southwest Dressing
- In large bowl combine greens, black beans, corn, bell pepper, tortilla chips, onion, cilantro, cheese (if using).
- Top with the Southwest Dressing.
- Toss all together well.
- Serve and enjoy!