This rich, flavorful, and creamy Southwest Salad Dressing is such an easy salad dressing recipe to throw together and it tastes amazing! Enjoy.
❤️ Why You Will Love This Recipe
- This creamy southwest dressing recipe couldn't be easier to make.
- Thanks to an amazing blend of spices, this southwestern salad dressing has BIG flavor.
- You can use this delicious creamy sauce as a salad dressing, dipping sauce, sandwich spread, and more.
- This recipe is naturally gluten-free and vegetarian and easily be made vegan or dairy-free with a few simple swaps.
🌶️ Ingredients and Substitutes
Mayonnaise: This is a great recipe for using good quality mayo in. Alternatively, you can use vegan or plant-based mayonnaise to make this recipe vegan. I love Follow Your Heart's Vegenaise.
Yogurt: Use a nice creamy plain Greek yogurt or regular yogurt. To make it vegan and dairy-free, use a nice plant-based yogurt. I like Forager Project's cashew-based yogurt. If you do not have yogurt on hand, you can use regular or plant-based sour cream instead.
Lime juice and orange juice: The combination of lime juice and orange juice is what I would consider one of the pillars of this recipe. It just works and works very well! Having said that, if you only have one or the other, or only lemon juice or apple cider vinegar on hand, it will work in a pinch.
Special spice blend: Smoked paprika, cumin, garlic, salt, and cayenne provide a lot of the flavor in this homemade southwest salad dressing. Just be certain to use smoked paprika instead of regular Hungarian paprika, as smokiness is essential! I do not recommend any swaps here, though if you do not have garlic powder, you can use one fresh clove of garlic instead if need be.
🥣 How to Make Southwest Dressing
- To make this delicious dressing, you simply combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Enjoy straight away or store to enjoy another day.
🥗 Serving Ideas
- Without stating the obvious, this delicious recipe works well on many different salads. I like to make a quick taco salad by throwing together salad greens like romaine lettuce, black beans or pinto beans, crushed tortilla chips or tortilla strips, chopped red onions, fresh cilantro, shredded cheese, and chopped red bell pepper, then topping it off with this creamy dressing. Delish!
- You can use this delicious condiment as a dipping sauce for fried foods like mozzarella sticks, french fries, or hush puppies.
- You can use this recipe as a spread for sandwiches or my favorite, cheese quesadillas.
❓ Frequently Asked Questions
This southwest dressing is made with mayo, yogurt, lime juice, orange juice, and a special blend of spices.
Homemade salad dressing will keep stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator usually for up to at least one week, and sometimes longer.
More Delicious Sauce Recipes
Southwest Salad Dressing
- 1 ½ cups mayonnaise or vegan mayo
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt or plain vegan yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 ½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt or salt to suit your tastes, I usually use 1-2 teaspoons in this recipe
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the mayo, yogurt, lime juice, orange juice, paprika, cumin, garlic, salt and cayenne.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Enjoy right away or keep it stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to one week.
This Southwest Salad Dressing recipe is sure to add a kick to your next salad! Bursting with flavor, it's the perfect way to spice up your next meal. Loved your recipe!
This is SO much better than anything bottled! I love the hint of orange in it, too!
This sounds so yummy. Can't wait to give it a try. Thank you.
JD Alewine says
This dressing is incredible. I'm putting it on everything going forward!!!
For what dishes can I preferably use this sauce?
Kristen Wood says
Hi! You can find some of my suggestions here: https://moonandspoonandyum.com/southwest-salad-dressing/#serving-ideas. I hope this helps! 🙂
The most delicious dipping sauce and so creamy!