A super simple yet flavorful and creamy Sweet Potato Soup for the Instant Pot or stovetop. Vegan and gluten-free.
Soups are such wonderful comfort food for the mind, body and soul. They can be made complex or simple, (yet no less the flavorful) such as with this easy and creamy vegan sweet potato soup recipe. It is vibrant, nourishing and made with just a handful of healthy, wholesome ingredients. You often see sweet potato soups made with warming spices which greatly enhance the natural sweetness of the sweet potato, but in this case I prefer adding rich, savory spices which allows sweet potato to speak for itself and only be subtly enhanced. I think it’s perfect, and I hope you think so, too!
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Smooth and creamy.
- Hearty and filling.
- Healthy and wholesome.
- Simple and easy to make.
- Rich and flavorful.
- A true bowl of comfort food.
- Vegan, dairy-free, refined sugar-free, gluten-free, soy-free and nut-free.
Sweet potatoes (of course!) are the most important ingredient in this dish. Pick nice firm, unblemished sweet potatoes for best results. Learn more about what goes well with sweet potato and find some delicious salad pairings over on The Devil Wears Salad.
Garlic and ginger are the other stars of the show here. While onion is commonplace in soup recipes, I find omitting it to provide a greater depth of flavor in this dish.
The spices enhance the sweet potatoes but do not overpower the dish at all. Full fat coconut milk adds that lush creaminess.
All in all there is a lovely and delicate dance of flavors in this vibrant soup.
🔪 How-to Make Sweet Potato Soup
💭 Tips, Tricks, and Variations
- Coconut sugar: I’ve grown fond of a touch of sweetness being added to soup and curry recipes. It somehow just works when trying to strike that balance between salty, sweet, bitter, sour and umami. Having said this, if you are on a sugar-free diet, please do omit it, or if you only have a different sweetener on hand—use that!
- Garnish: Top this soup off with fresh herbs, hemp seeds, or a bit of crunch, like crackers or these air fryer masala peanuts.
- Coconut milk: Coconut cream can be used in place of coconut milk. If you are not vegan or dairy-free, feel free to use heavy cream or milk as replacements.
- Storage: This soup keeps well in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to one week or in freezer safe containers stored in the freezer for up to 4 months. To re-heat the soup simply place it in saucepan over medium heat until warmed throughout.
🥣 More Vegan Soup Recipes
If you try this recipe please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, share this post, use Pinterest’s “tried it” feature, or take a photo, & tag me on Instagram and I’ll share it! Thank you so much! <3
Sweet Potato Soup (Instant Pot + Stovetop)
- 2 tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2" knob ginger root minced
- 4 sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar or granulated sweetener of choice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 13.5-ounce can coconut milk
- sea salt or pink salt to taste
Instant Pot Instructions
- Set electric pressure cooker to saute function. Add oil, garlic and ginger. Saute for 5 minutes or until beginning to brown.
- Stir in sweet potatoes, paprika, garlic powder, sugar, cumin and pepper.
- Add water (or broth) and coconut milk. Stir well.
- Place the lid on the electric pressure cooker, close the vent, and set to manual high pressure for 9 minutes.
- When the time is up, quick release the pressure. Using an immersion blender or carefully transferring to blender or food processor, blend the soup until smooth. Salt to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Place a large pot over medium heat. Add oil, garlic and ginger. Saute for 5 minutes or until browning.
- Stir in sweet potatoes and spices, followed by water/broth and coconut milk.
- Turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Turn heat off and then using an immersion blender or carefully transferring to a blender or food processor, blend the soup until smooth. Salt to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!