Super easy and comforting Gluten-Free Pesto Pizza Rolls in twisty bread form makes for one scrumptious and satisfying appetizer or meal. These GF Pinwheels can easily be made vegan to boot!
If my oldest had his way, he would eat pesto pizza for breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday! So, I figured it high time I come up with another variation on the matter. I’m super pleased with the results! These are easy for little hands to hold, travel well, freeze well and taste AMAZING!
While yeast is in this dough, it is there for flavor more than anything else, so don’t sweat any proofing or rising time! I offer an option for letting the dough rise before baking if it is your preference, but it is completely unnecessary and both options taste the same!
Tips, Tricks and Variations
- Vegan Option: This entire recipe minus the cheese is vegan, so if you’re vegan simply omit the cheese or swap out for your favorite vegan variety. We are quite fond of Seed Cheese in this recipe.
- Gluten-Free Flour: I do not recommend replacing the flour with single blend flours such as almond or cassava. A gluten-free all-purpose blend works best. I am fond of Namaste and Bob’s Red Mill’s Cup 1-to-1 Blend in this recipe.
- Variations: This is a good base recipe to have on hand. Swap the pesto for pizza sauce or any condiment you like, or throw in any pizza toppings you are fond of.
- Freezing: After cooking these and letting them cool, you can place them in freezer-proof bags or containers and store them for up to 4 months. To re-heat, place the frozen pizza rolls in a 375°F oven and heat until warmed throughout.
- Storage: These are best enjoyed straight away but maintain form at room temperature for about 24 hours. For any longer, refrigerate for up to 5 days and simply re-heat in a 375°F oven until warmed throughout.
More Fun Recipes
If you try this recipe please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, share this post, use Pinterest’s “tried it” feature, or take a photo, & tag me on Instagram and I’ll share it! Thank you so much! <3
Gluten Free Pesto Pizza Rolls
- 2 1/4 cups gluten-free all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or any sweetener of choice
- 1 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup pesto homemade or store-bought
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese omit for vegan or replace with vegan cheese
- In a large bowl combine flour, yeast, garlic powder, and salt. Stir to combine.
- To the same bowl oil, maple syrup and water. Mix until it all starts to come together then knead the dough with your hands until you can easily form a smooth ball of dough (about 2 minutes). If the dough is too wet, add a touch more flour. If the dough is too dry, add a touch of water until just right.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- On a cutting board or countertop dusted with flour place the dough ball. Using your hands and/or a rolling pin, flatten the dough into a large rectangle about 1/2" thick.
- Slather the dough with pesto and then sprinkle evenly with mozzarella cheese (if using).
- Starting at one short end of the rectangle, fold the edge inward and continue rolling until you have one long cylinder.
- Slice the log of dough in half, then slice each half in half, followed by slicing each quarter in two until you have 8 rolls.
- Place each roll into a greased oven-proof skillet or cake pan (around 9"), allowing the rolls to touch each other (it should be a nice snug fit). Optionally, cover and let rise in a warm and dark place for 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the rolls are firm, turning golden on bottoms and sides and the filling is bubbling and browning.