Last Updated on
A super simple, yet stunningly beautiful and delicious Pesto Risotto made with arborio rice. This versatile side or main dish recipe is vegan and can be made in an Instant Pot pressure cooker or on the stovetop.
Ease, beauty, simplicity – this Pesto Risotto recipe makes for one quick and utterly delicious dish that can be enjoyed on its own or alongside your favorite sides and entrees. It adds a pop of vibrant green alongside deep, rich flavors and a delightfully creamy texture.
What is Risotto?
Risotto is a creamy Italian side dish (or main course) made with a starchy rice called arborio rice.
Note: ingredient amounts and method can be found in the full recipe card towards the bottom of this post.
What to Serve with Risotto
- Nothing – it’s great on its own!
- Add your favorite protein – tofu, tempeh, seeds all make great toppers for this risotto dish!
- Top with steamed or roasted veggies such as broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potatoes or peas.
- Serve alongside a big salad.
- Top off with some creamy white beans.
Be certain to only use arborio rice. This particular rice is high in starch and responsible for the creamy texture you get with risotto.
My Favorite Pesto Recipes
If you try this recipe please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, share this post, use Pinterest’s “tried it” feature, or take a photo, & tag me on Instagram and I’ll share it! Thank you so much! <3
Pesto Risotto (Vegan)
- Instant Pot Instructions
- Press the saute function button on your Instant Pot pressure cooker. Add oil and rice. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Press cancel to turn off saute function. Stir in water and salt.
- Place the lid on and cook on manual high pressure for 6 minutes.
- While waiting for it to cook, prepare your favorite pesto. I like this vegan cashew pesto.
- When the Instant Pot is finished cooking, carefully quick release the pressure. Fluff the risotto with a fork.
- Gently fold in prepared pesto.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Stovetop Instructions
- In a large pot bring the vegetable broth or water to a low simmer.
- Meanwhile in a large skillet or pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add rice and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add a ladle of hot broth/water to the sauteed rice. Let sit until the broth is mostly absorbed. Repeat with remaining broth, using only a ladle a time until the all the broth is absorbed. The risotto should have a creamy consistency when finished. If it's too dry, add more broth; if it's too wet, let it cook longer until absorbed.
- Turn off heat and stir in salt and pesto.
- Serve and enjoy!