Disclaimer: You will find affiliate links for the products I use and love on this blog. I will earn from any purchases you make from these links, but it is at no extra cost to you. I appreciate your support!
Instant pot pumpkin risotto is super quick and simple, perfect for those days when time gets away from you! This satisfying combination of pumpkin puree, arborio rice, sage and walnuts is ready in twenty minutes, and it’s vegan, too.
Why This Recipe Is Awesome
You’ll love this instant pot pumpkin risotto recipe for so many reasons! It’s:
- Quick to prepare. As this pumpkin risotto is made in a pressure cooker, it’s much quicker than making a risotto on the stovetop - which can be time consuming.
- Easy to make. Unlike some risotto recipes, there isn’t much to go wrong. You’re guaranteed delicious results every time.
- Tasty! The flavors of the fresh sage and walnuts complement the sweetness of the pumpkin puree wonderfully.
- Satisfying. The combination of arborio rice and pumpkin is a good mix of fiber and carbohydrates, and with the protein from the walnuts you’re guaranteed a filling meal.
- Made from store cupboard staples. This recipe is made from ingredients that keep for a long time, so you can keep them in stock ready for those weeks where there just isn’t time to go to the store.
- Packed full of immune system boosting nutrients. Pumpkin is a bit of a superstar. It’s low-calorie while also containing a huge amount of nutrients, in particular Vitamin A.
- Vegan and gluten-free. A crowd pleaser!
To make instant pot pumpkin risotto, you will need:
- Olive oil or butter. Butter will give the risotto a creamier texture. If you want your risotto to be vegan, use olive oil or substitute the butter for vegan butter.
- Onion. Peeled and finely chopped.
- Garlic. Peeled and finely chopped.
- Fresh sage leaves. You can use dried sage if you don’t have fresh, but fresh sage will give you a more robust flavor.
- Pumpkin puree (canned). Using a can is a real time saver!
- Arborio rice. Arborio rice is perfect for risotto because it absorbs the flavors around it. It also takes on the creamy texture that is characteristic of risotto once cooked.
- Raw walnuts. The walnuts add an extra dimension to the flavor and texture. Delicious.
- Parmesan or vegan alternative (optional). Sprinkle over the top before you serve.
How To Make Instant Pot Pumpkin Risotto
- First, press the saute button on the electric pressure cooker. Then, add your oil (or butter), onion and garlic to the cooker.
- Saute for five minutes until the onion has gone soft and slightly translucent. Be sure to keep the onion and garlic moving, so they don’t burn or stick to the pan.
- After five minutes, add the fresh sage and cook for another two minutes. Again, stir frequently.
- Next, add the pumpkin puree, salt and arborio rice along with the water. Cook everything on high pressure for six minutes.
- While your risotto is cooking, toast the walnuts in a skillet over medium heat for around five minutes. Take them off the heat when they smell like they are toasting, or go slightly darker. Make sure you stir the walnuts often to keep them from catching.
- Once the risotto has cooked, quick release the pressure and stir well. It’s essential to use the quick release function; otherwise, the rice will cook for too long.
- Serve topped with toasted walnuts and a sprinkle of vegetarian or vegan parmesan if you’re using it.
What To Serve With Pumpkin Risotto
It’s also fantastic with a hunk of crusty buttered bread on the side. So if you’re feeling in the mood for baking, why not give this gluten free sourdough bread a go. It’s fluffy on the inside while still maintaining a lovely crust, and it's gluten free, too!
Water to rice ratio for risotto
As with other kinds of rice, the perfect water to rice ratio for arborio rice is 2:1, which means that for every one cup of rice, you’ll need two cups of water. Bear this in mind if you want to scale this recipe up or down.
Washing risotto rice
It’s preferable not to wash arborio rice before using it because your rice needs to have a slightly sticky consistency. The characteristic sticky texture of arborio rice comes from the starch, which you lose if you wash it.
A Few Notes
Choosing your pumpkin puree
When you’re buying your pumpkin puree, be sure to choose a brand that contains only pumpkin and no other added spices or sweeteners. Adding sweet pumpkin to your risotto won’t taste good, and if you want to see the nutritional benefits, then pure pumpkin is the way to go.
If you don’t have any walnuts, you can substitute them for another kind of nut - just be sure to choose unsalted nuts. Brazil nuts, cashews, hazelnuts and pecans all work well.
You could also try making this recipe with squash rather than pumpkin; butternut squash puree is widely available and tastes similar to pumpkin puree. The main difference is that butternut squash is a little sweeter than pumpkin.
Other Instant Pot Risotto Recipes You Might Enjoy
If you enjoy this instant pot pumpkin risotto, be sure to try this simple pesto risotto. You can make it in a pressure cooker or on the stovetop, and the flavors are amazing!
Instant Pot Pumpkin Risotto Recipe (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced or grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage leaves finely chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree fresh or canned
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or pink salt
- 3/4 cup raw walnuts for topping
- shredded parmesan cheese optional, for topping
- Set your electric pressure cooker to the saute function. Add the oil, onion and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the sage and saute for 2 minutes longer.
- Press the cancel button, then add the water, rice, pumpkin puree and salt. Stir well.
- Set the electric pressure cooker to high pressure for 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the walnuts to a skillet over medium heat and cook for 5 minutes or until turning color and smelling toasty. Set aside.
- When the risotto is done cooking, quick release the pressure. Stir well.
- Optionally top off with vegetarian or vegan parmesan before serving. Enjoy!