If you like creamy potatoes with a crispy crust, these Pesto Smashed Potatoes are for you! Thanks to the Instant Pot Duo Crisp, this recipe could not be easier to make, too. Naturally gluten-free and can be made vegetarian or vegan.
Level up your weeknight side dish by making these delicious Instant Pot Duo Crisp Pesto Smashed Potatoes. These roasted potatoes are filled with a rich and heavenly flavor while having a crisp yet tender texture. The combination of pesto, parmesan, and olive oil definitely makes this a scrumptious addition to the dinner table whether you are looking for an appetizer, snack, or side dish for your weeknight meal or holiday gathering.
Cooked in the Instant Pot Duo Crisp, you’ll easily achieve that golden brown crunch on the outside while enjoying the tenderness of the smashed potato on the inside. With only a handful of ingredients and a few minutes of prep time, you’ll have delicious Pesto Smashed Potatoes in no time!
- Easy to make with the Instant Pot Duo Crisp
- Made with only a handful of ingredients
- A delicious side dish that’s rich with flavor and texture
- Perfect to add to family dinner meals and holiday gatherings
- Gluten-free, vegetarian, and has vegan options
What is an Instant Pot Duo Crisp?
The Instant Pot Duo Crisp is a multi-use pressure cooker that’s versatile, convenient, and will help you easily achieve your favorite dishes in a few minutes. With two convenient, removable lids, you can easily transform your Instant Pot into an air fryer.
With the Instant Pot Duo Crisp, you’ll have a stress-free time in the kitchen while getting amazing results. You won’t need anything else as it acts as an 11-1 pressure cooker, slow cooker, steamer, sauté pan, food warmer, sous vide, air fryer, roaster, mini-oven, broiler, and dehydrator. It’s even perfect for meal preps, big batches, and gatherings!
- Russet potatoes – This type of potato has high starch content and yields fluffy tender smashed potatoes compared to other potato varieties.
- Olive oil – Olive oil adds flavor and helps these Smashed Potatoes achieve that crispy texture!
- Sea salt – Makes the smashed potatoes salty, crunchy, and flavorful!
- Black pepper – A simple pinch of black pepper can add a delightful flavor to this recipe.
- Pesto of choice – You can choose to make your own pesto or to buy a brand of your preference in a store. Pesto is the second main ingredient in this dish and it adds amazing flavor to the smashed potatoes with its delicious cheese, garlic, and olive oil flavors!
- Parmesan cheese (optional) – Perfect addition to smashed potatoes that’s especially delicious when melted. You can opt to use vegan parmesan alternatives or skip this ingredient altogether.
How To Make These Perfect Crispy Pesto Smashed Potatoes
Step 1 – Place one cup of water in the inner pot of the Instant Pot. Add the wire rack insert.
Step 2 – Place the potatoes on the rack.
Step 3 – Place the lid on and set the pressure cooker to manual high pressure for 25 minutes.
Step 4 – Quick release the pressure and carefully remove the potatoes and place them on a cutting board.
Step 5 – Using a fork or the bottom of a cup, smash the potatoes until flattened slightly.
Step 6 – Drizzle the potatoes with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Step 7 – Place the potatoes back on the rack, then put the air fryer lid on the Instant Pot.
Step 8 – Air fry at 400F for 12 minutes, then top each potato with ¼ cup pesto and sprinkle of parmesan cheese (if using). Set the Instant Pot Duo Crisp to the broil function using the air fryer lid. Broil for 2 minutes.
Step 9 – Remove the lid and place it on the protective pad. Carefully remove the potatoes to serve, and enjoy!
How to Serve these Pesto Smashed Potatoes
These Pesto Smashed Potatoes can be served on their own as snacks, finger food (if you use smaller potatoes), and appetizers for parties or gatherings. They are also popular side dishes that can be served alongside main meals. These Smashed Potatoes can perfectly complement dishes such as Creamy Tomato Basil Pasta, Vegan Meatloaf, or this Rosemary, Onion, & Feta Socca Pizza. However you choose to serve them, they will turn out delicious. Sprinkle them with some chopped parsley for extra flavor.
While I highly recommend russet potatoes because of their high starch content, you can definitely use other types of potatoes. Different types of potatoes will result in different textures – textures that might also be equally delicious! Take note that potatoes with low to medium starch content will yield lumpier or creamier results, while potatoes with high starch content will have fluffier results. You can also use different sizes depending on how you want to serve your smashed potatoes.
While Pesto Smashed Potatoes are best served fresh, you can store the potatoes and pesto separately in the refrigerator. After you air fry the potatoes, you can store them in a sealed container and place them in the refrigerator once at room temperature. Keep the pesto in a separate container until you are ready to serve the smashed potatoes. You can store the potatoes for 3-4 days.
Once ready to serve, you can reheat the Smashed Potatoes using the Instant Pot Duo Crisp’s air fry function or use a conventional oven to heat until warm throughout. Then you can continue to top with pesto and parmesan, and continue to follow the next steps in the recipe’s instructions.
You Might Also Like
Instant Pot Duo Crisp Pesto Smashed Potatoes
- 4 Russet potatoes scrubbed and pricked with a fork
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup pesto of choice store-bought or homemade
- Parmesan cheese shredded (optional), vegetarian or vegan if necessary
- Place one cup of water in the inner pot of the Instant Pot. Add the wire rack insert.
- Place the potatoes on the rack.
- Place the regular lid on and set the pressure cooker to manual high pressure for 25 minutes.
- Quick release the pressure and carefully remove the potatoes and place on a cutting board.
- Using a fork or the bottom of a cup, smash the potatoes until flattened slightly.
- Drizzle the potatoes with olive oil, then sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
- Place the potatoes back on the rack, then put the air fryer lid on the Instant Pot.
- Air fry at 400F for 12 minutes, then top each potato with ¼ cup pesto and sprinkle of parmesan cheese (if using). Set the Instant Pot Duo Crisp to the broil function using the air fryer lid. Broil for 2 minutes.