This super Creamy Vegan Pasta with Tomato and Basil is bursting with rich flavor and pleasant textures. Elevate pasta night with this comforting and vibrant sauce served over your favorite noodles!
Oh, how I’m a sucker for pasta! It just wouldn’t be a good week without a pasta night thrown in, wouldn’t you agree? Enter this Creamy Tomato Basil Pasta made with coconut cream. The pasta sauce in this dish is truly a magic sauce that just happens to drape over your favorite noodles perfectly. You can keep it creamy and comforting or add an optional kick if you’re a spicy food lover. One thing’s for certain though—it’ll become a weeknight staple in no time.
- Super creamy.
- Quick and easy to make.
- Makes great leftovers.
- Packed with flavor.
- A high comfort food factor.
- Offers an alternate spicy version.
- Gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, nut-free, and soy-free.
Noodles: Gluten-free spaghetti noodles work perfectly here! If you are not on a gluten-free diet, conventional spaghetti noodles work well, too. Alternatively, you can use any shape noodles you prefer, I’m just partial to spaghetti when paired with this sauce!
Marinara: I love a plain and simple tomato or tomato basil marinara sauce in this recipe, but really, any pasta sauce will do.
Coconut Cream: This is what gives the pasta its super creamy factor and really blends well with the marinara to make a most magic sauce! If you are not vegan or dairy-free, heavy cream can be used instead.
Basil: Fresh basil is essential in this recipe and I do not recommend replacing with dried as that would give a completely different flavor profile.
Red Chili Flakes: This is an optional ingredient. If you are not a fan of spicy, omit. If you are a fan, I think you’ll find yourself immensely pleased with the spicy-creamy combo!
For full ingredients list and instructions, refer to the recipe card toward the bottom of this post.
How-to Make Creamy Vegan Pasta
Step 1: Cook pasta according to package directions while completing the steps below.
Step 2: Saute garlic in olive oil.
Step 3: Add remaining ingredients.
Step 4: Simmer.
Step 5: Add noodles and toss to coat.
Step 6: Enjoy!
Top Tip: See how to cook gluten-free pasta to get that pasta texture just right!
Keep cooled pasta stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. To reheat, place the pasta in a skillet over medium-low heat and while tossing occasionally, heat until warmed throughout.
Yes! If you are not on a dairy-free or vegan diet, heavy cream can be used instead.
The red chili flakes add a wonderful spicy undertone that while is spicy, is not overly so, in my opinion. The coconut cream helps mellow the spiciness.
For some inspiration, see 10 Best Italian Pasta Dishes You Must Try!
For sauce similar to this one, but vegetarian, see tomato and mascarpone sauce.
More Vegan Pasta Recipes You Will Enjoy
Creamy Tomato Basil Pasta (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
- 1 12-ounce box spaghetti noodles cooked according to package directions gluten-free, if necessary
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 25.5-ounce jar marinara sauce any flavor you prefer, though plain or tomato basil work best
- 1 13.5-ounce can coconut cream or heavy cream if not vegan or dairy-free
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves chopped (plus more to garnish, optionally)
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes (optional) add if you want a spicy kick!
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt or pink salt
- While preparing the sauce, cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add oil and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes or until garlic is turning golden.
- Turn the heat to medium-high and to the skillet add marinara sauce, coconut cream, basil, red chili flakes (if using), black pepper and salt. Bring to boil, reduce to a simmer (medium-low heat) and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat and pour cooked noodles into the skillet. Toss to coat the pasta with the sauce.
- Optionally serve with more fresh basil. Enjoy!