By now I'm certain you've caught on to my love for curries, but throw in some red adzuki beans (also known as azuki beans) and you're in for one big nutritional punch of a curry! Adzuki beans are packed with antioxidants, protein, fiber and folate; and they're mild, nutty flavor really complements the warming spices and creaminess of a curry. I think you'll find you concur!
- Hearty and comforting.
- Easy to make.
- Perfectly flavorful.
- Makes excellent leftovers or meal prepping food.
- Packed with fiber and protein.
- Vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, no sugar-added, nut-free, soy-free.
How-to Make Adzuki Bean Curry — Step-by-Step
FAQ — Tips, Tricks and Substitutions
More Curry Recipes You Might Like
If you try this recipe please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, share this post, use Pinterest’s “tried it” feature, or take a photo, & tag me on Instagram and I’ll share it! Thank you so much! <3
Adzuki Bean Curry
- 2 cups dry adzuki beans soaked overnight or at least 4 hours
- 2 tablespoons avocado or olive oil you can use ghee or butter if not vegan
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger root minced or grated
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes or fresh
- 1 13.5-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime juiced
- sea salt or pink salt to taste
- Soak adzuki beans in water overnight or for at least 4 hours.
- Drain and rinse beans.
- Place the rinsed beans in a large pot over high heat, fill the pot with water until the beans have at least 1 inch of water above them. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 hour or until beans are tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot or skillet over medium heat add oil, garlic and ginger. Saute ginger and garlic for 5 minutes or until turning golden.
- Add tomatoes, coconut milk, cumin, coriander, turmeric, red chili flakes, and adzuki beans. Turn heat to high, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to med-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro and lime juice. Salt to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!