Super easy, fluffy and flavorful Gluten-Free Cinnamon Rolls made with Buckwheat Flour. Naturally egg-free. Vegan and dairy-free option included!
Who doesn't love a good cinnamon roll?? We love our buckwheat pancakes around here so I had the idea to impart that almost nutty flavor to some good ol' cinnamon rolls, too! The result? Super scrumptious, super cinnamon-y, fluffy cinnamon rolls that are gluten-free and vegan, to boot!
- Very easy to make.
- Packed with the perfect balance of sweet and cinnamon.
- Just the right amount of buckwheat flavor.
- Gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, egg-free, nut-free, soy-free.
🔪 How-to Make Step-by-Step
Step 1: Combine and mix wet ingredients. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Mix until a strong, stretchy dough forms. Cover and let rise 1 hour.
Step 2: While dough is rising, make the filling. Combine filling ingredients and mix until smoothly combined. Set aside.
Step 3: Once the dough has risen, place it on a parchment paper lined cutting board or countertop. Sprinkle with flour roll out into a rectangle about 1/4" thick.
Step 4: Spread the filling over the dough and using the parchment paper, roll the dough into one long log. Slice into 8 cinnamon rolls. Place into a pan, cover and let rise for 30 minutes longer.
Step 5: Preheat oven. Prepare the icing by combining icing ingredients and mixing until smooth. Set aside.
Step 6: Bake the cinnamon rolls, let cool slightly, cover with icing, serve and enjoy!
💭 Top Tips and FAQ
How do I make these vegan?
Vegan options are listed in the recipe card at the bottom of this post. These gluten-free cinnamon rolls are naturally egg-free. For vegan, you simply use the coconut oil/vegan butter options.
Can I replace the tapioca starch with another starch?
Yes! Arrowroot and potato starch are suitable replacements for the tapioca, if need be.
Do these store well?
These keep well lightly covered at room temperature for about 24 hours. Any longer and I would suggest prepping them through the second rise, then covering and refrigerating (for up to 3 days) until ready to bake and enjoy fresh.
🎂 More Gluten-Free Desserts You Might Enjoy
Gluten-Free Buckwheat Flour Cinnamon Rolls (Vegan Option)
- ⅔ cup warm full-fat coconut milk or any warm milk of choice
- ¼ cup coconut sugar or any granulated sweetener of choice
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons melted butter use coconut oil if vegan/dairy-free
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tablespoon psyllium husk powder or 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum omit if sensitive to gums
- ½ teaspoon sea salt or pink salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
Cinnamon Roll Filling
- ½ cup coconut sugar or granulated sweetener of choice
- ¼ cup softened butter or plant-based spread if vegan/dairy-free
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 cup powdered sugar also known as confectioners' sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese use vegan cream cheese for vegan/dairy-free option
- 2 tablespoons melted butter use coconut oil for vegan/dairy-free option
- In a stand mixer or large mixing bowl combine warm milk, sugar and yeast. Let sit until frothy and foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Add melted butter and vanilla extract to yeast mixture. Mix well.
- Add tapioca flour, buckwheat flour, psyllium husk, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt and baking soda. Mix very well, about 5 minutes, until you have a strong, stretchy, uniform dough. Cover with a damp towel and place in a warm spot to rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
Cinnamon Roll Filling
- In a stand mixer or mixing bowl combine cinnamon roll filling ingredients. Mix until smoothly combined and paste-like. Set aside.
Cream Cheese Icing
- In a stand mixer or mixing bowl combine icing ingredients. Whisk until you have a smooth, creamy icing. Set aside.
Bringing It All Together
- Once dough has risen, line a cutting board or countertop with parchment paper. Place the dough on the parchment paper and sprinkle with a bit of flour. Roll the dough out into a rectangle about 10 inches long, 8 inches wide, and ¼" thick. Try to keep the edges straight and uniform, trimming the dough if necessary.
- Spread the cinnamon roll filling over the dough, using your fingers or a spatula, leaving about 1 inch free of filling along the edges of the dough.
- Using the parchment paper (see how-to images and/or video for guidance), begin rolling the dough length-wise upwards until you have a uniform, tightly packed cylinder of dough. Slice into 8 even pieces. Place into a round baking or cast-iron pan. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes longer.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Once dough has risen, uncover, place into the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until firm, turning golden and the filling is bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes before spreading the icing over the top before serving.