This high-protein Gluten-Free and Vegan Lentil Minestrone Soup is packed with hearty, healthy, and delicious ingredients and can be ready on the table in under 30 minutes!
What I most look forward to this time of year is comfort food. I’m all about big, warm, hearty bowls of nourishment and deliciousness; and if you throw in some Italian inspiration you’re in for double the comfort . . .
This particular dish is one that I actually created over one year ago, but am just now getting around to sharing it! I’ve since made it several times and cannot quite get over just how tasty this spice combo is.
Why This Recipe Works
- Filled to the brim with nutritious veggies such as carrots, green beans, bell pepper, tomatoes, potatoes and mixed greens.
- Packed with high protein lentils and gluten-free pasta (I like to use this one).
- Can be made in only 30 minutes.
- Makes tasty leftovers.
- Freezes and reheats well.
- Contains a ridiculously delicious blend of Italian seasonings and spices.
- Gluten-free and vegan.
How to Serve Lentil Minestrone
We enjoy this comforting bowl of soup topped with either nutritional yeast (vegan) or shredded parmesan cheese (the vegetarian version!). I cannot wait for you to give a go and let me know what you think, too!
You Might Also Like
Gluten-Free Vegan Lentil Minestrone Soup
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves minced or grated
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 2 cups green beans fresh or frozen
- 2 carrots sliced into coins
- 1 cup red lentils rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5 oz can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 potato grated
- 8 cups vegetable broth or water but will be slightly less flavorful
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups pasta of choice
- 2 cups mixed greens I used kale and spinach
- to taste sea salt
- Optional garnishes:nutritional yeast vegan or shredded parmesan cheese (not vegan)
- In a large pot over medium heat add oil, garlic, onion and bell pepper. Saute while stirring occasionally for 3-4 minutes or until onion is turning translucent.
- Stir in green beans and carrots. Saute 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in lentils, tomatoes, potato, broth and all spices (bay leaf through red pepper flakes). Turn heat to high.
- When all is beginning to boil, stir in pasta then reduce heat to medium-low to keep it at a soft simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in mixed greens. Turn off heat, salt to taste. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes to allow the greens to wilt.
- Optionally garnish with nutritional yeast or parmesan cheese before serving. Enjoy!