Last Updated on
Easy, healthy, and comforting Instant Pot Red Lentil & Potato Curry! This delicious Indian-style pressure cooker meal is gluten-free, vegan, and packed with delicious warming spices ready to complement your favorite grain and/or bread!
As you’ve probably noticed by now, I am a huge curry fan. It is my ultimate ideal comfort food. And, I’ve also grown quite fond of my Instant Pot. And what do ya know!? The two combine absolutely perfectly.
The Instant Pot has definitely become my preferred way of cooking a curry as all of the ingredients tend to come out wonderfully tender, with a delightfully creamy texture, and in much less time than conventional methods. Win!
Now on to that curry …
This curry is heavenly. I wanted to add a little extra creamy and filling goodness to my red lentil base; and potatoes worked beautifully!
This Instant Pot Red Lentil & Potato Curry is:
Creamy & comforting.
Easy to make.
Hearty & filling.
More Vegan Instant Pot Recipes You Might Enjoy:
Tips for making Potato & Lentil Curry in a Pressure Cooker:
I do not recommend replacing the red lentils with any other type of lentils. Red lentils are a large part of the delightfully creamy texture in this curry and other types of lentils would need a greater time adjustment to be successfully cooked.
In a pinch, cilantro can be replaced with parsley.
Not a fan of a touch of spicy? Omit or cut down on the red pepper flakes in this recipe.
Canned diced tomatoes can replace the crushed tomatoes OR 2 fresh tomatoes, chopped.
I’ve made this recipe with russet, gold and red potatoes — all result in a very similar dish.
Though it will not be as creamy or flavorful, the full fat coconut milk can be replace with any dairy or non-dairy milk of choice, in a pinch!
The apple cider vinegar can be replaced with lemon juice, or omitted altogether if you do not have either.
In true curry fashion, this lentil and potato dish only has a tendency to develop bolder, deeper, more complex flavors in time. Simply put: this makes an excellent leftovers dish or meal planning addition!
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. Reheat on the stove top over medium-low heat until warmed throughout; or in an Instant Pot on saute mode (stirring frequently).
If you’re in need of a bit of healthy and delicious comfort food, whip this up and serve alongside some rice, quinoa or naan bread and you will not be disappointed with its perfectly spiced goodness.
If you try this recipe please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, share this post, use Pinterest’s “tried it” feature, or take a photo, & tag me on Instagram and I’ll share it! Thank you so much! <3
Instant Pot Red Lentil & Potato Curry (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
- 1 tbs coconut or olive oil
- 1/2 yellow or white onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 1 tbs curry powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground paprika
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dry red lentils
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 2 large or 3 medium potatoes peeled, cubed
- 2 tbs unsweetened shredded coconut optional
- 1 can 14 oz full fat coconut milk
- 1 large handful fresh mixed greens
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- to taste sea salt
- Turn your Instant Pot on to sauté mode.
- Add in oil, onion, and garlic. Sauté, stirring frequently, for 5-7 minutes or until onions are turning translucent.
- Stir in spices cilantro through cloves. Sauté 1-2 minutes longer (until fragrant).
- Pour in water, lentils, and tomatoes. Stir to combine.
- Cook on Manual High Pressure for 15 minutes.
- When finished – press cancel, quick release pressure, then remove lid.
- Stir in potatoes, optional shredded coconut, coconut milk, and fresh mixed greens.
- Cook on Manual High Pressure for 8 minutes longer.
- Quick release pressure once again.
- Stir in apple cider vinegar. Salt to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!