Crispy and tender air fryer falafel made with delicious, nutritious ingredients. Naturally gluten-free and vegan.
❤️ Why You Will Love This Recipe
- It’s a super easy falafel recipe!
- Air-fried falafel makes excellent leftovers or a nutritious meal prep idea.
- Packed with flavor and protein.
- This is very much a traditional falafel recipe – just made in the air fryer!
- The outside is crispy golden and the inside is vibrant green and tender.
- Versatile and can be served in a large variety of ways.
- Naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, soy-free, nut-free, and flour-free.
🥣 What You Will Need To Make This Recipe
Air fryer: Needless to say, when you are making an air fryer falafel recipe, you need an air fryer! These days, I like to use this air fryer.
Blender or food processor: A good quality blender or food processor is needed to process the ingredients and form the falafel batter.
Mixing bowl: A large mixing bowl is needed for combing the ingredients.
🌿 Ingredients and Substitutes
Dried chickpeas: Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, make up the bulk of this recipe, so I do not recommend replacing them. Soaking dried chickpeas in water before pulsing in a blender or food processor produces the perfect falafel texture and flavor. I do not recommend using canned chickpeas in this recipe.
Parsley and cilantro: Parsley and cilantro are responsible for the vibrant green falafel dough and a lot of the flavor. If you are not a cilantro fan, you can replace it with more parsley or fresh mint if you prefer.
Onion and garlic: No good falafel would be without the flavor base that garlic and onion provide. You can use white, yellow, or red onions in this recipe.
Spices: A combination of cumin, coriander, dill, and cayenne provide a classic falafel flavor. If you are not a fan of one of these, you can replace it with more of another used in this recipe.
Baking powder: Baking powder helps the falafel mixture turn golden brown in the air fryer, as well as contributes to the fluffy tender insides of this falafel recipe.
Sugar: You wonder what sugar is doing in this recipe, but trust me, it simply helps bring out the flavor of the spices and chickpeas, much like salt does, just in a slightly different way. Having said that, if you would prefer not to use it, you can omit it for very similar results. I like to use coconut sugar.
Olive oil: Extra virgin olive oil helps the dough stick together and provides flavor and crispiness to this recipe. You can replace it with any oil you prefer. Avocado oil and grapeseed oil also work well.
🔪 How-to Make Air Fryer Falafel
🍽️ Serving Ideas
- Serve on top of a salad for a bit of extra protein and texture.
- Serve in warm pita bread with diced tomatoes, cucumber, feta cheese, hummus, and a good tahini sauce.
- Serve appetizer-style with a good dipping sauce such as tzatziki sauce.
- Serve with this baked feta with fresh herbs and olives.
- Drizzle with a good hot sauce.
- Serve between toasted bread or buns with fresh veggies for a falafel sandwich.
- Serve over rice with a favorite condiment.
🥡 Storing and Reheating
You can store leftover falafels in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 10 days. You can also store air fryer falafel in the freezer in a freezer-safe container for up to 6 months. To reheat, pop the refrigerated or frozen falafel into an air fryer at 400°F for about 10 minutes or until warm throughout. Alternatively, you can pop the falafel patties on a baking sheet and reheat in a 350°F oven until warm.
♨️ More Delicious Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Falafel
- 2 cups dried chickpeas soaked in water for 12-24 hours, then drained
- 1 cup fresh parsley stems included
- 1 cup fresh cilantro stems included
- 1 onion red, yellow or white, halved
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried dill weed
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar optional
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper omit if you do not want subtle heat
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- The day before making the recipe, be certain to soak the dried chickpeas in water for at least 12 hours, then drain before moving on to the next step.
- In a blender or food processor, add the soaked chickpeas and blend until mostly smooth (it's okay if there are a few chunks of chickpeas throughout). Place the blended chickpeas into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- To the same blender or food processor, add the parsely, cilantro, onion, garlic, cumin, coriander, salt, baking powder, black pepper, dill, sugar, cayenne and olive oil.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add the green mixture to the chickpeas in the mixing bowl, then mix by hand until well combined.
- Spray the air fryer basket with oil.
- Using wet hands, grab golf ball-sized mixtures of falafel batter and shape into rounds. Place the falafel rounds in single layer of the sprayed air fryer basket, working in batches if necessary.
- Air fry at 370°F for 15 minutes, or until the falafel is crispy and golden brown. Repeat with any remaining batter.