Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. This blog generates income through affiliate links at no extra cost to you.
Delicious, cornmeal-dusted air fryer squash made with yellow summer squash and zucchini. Naturally gluten-free and vegan.
💛 Why You Need This Recipe
- This is truly an easy air fryer recipe! You can mix everything right in the air fryer basket and air fry. Easy peasy!
- All you need is squash, oil, cornmeal and few spices.
- This recipe makes a fabulous side dish for the whole family to enjoy or even an appetizer or snack to serve with a favorite dipping sauce.
- It is naturally vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free and soy-free.
🗒️ Ingredients and Substitutes
Squash: This recipes tastes great and works well with both yellow crookneck squash and zucchini, however, you can use one or the other if that's what you have on hand!
Oil: I love to use avocado oil for its high smoke point, but feel free to use any oil you prefer. I've used olive oil and coconut oil with success.
Cornmeal: Fine and medium ground conventional cornmeal works best, but if you only have coarse ground cornmeal or polenta/grits, that will work, too.
Salt: What good recipe is complete without salt? I love to use Himalayan pink salt.
Garlic powder: The smallest hint of garlic flavor really adds a new dimension to this air fryer squash recipe. If you aren't a fan of garlic, you can omit it or use another spice you like better. Some of my favorite alternatives are onion powder, oregano, smoked paprika, red pepper flakes, and basil. You can even use fresh herbs if you prefer.
🔪 How to Make Air Fryer Squash
- Add all of the ingredients to an air fryer basket (alternatively you could use a mixing bowl, then add to the air fryer basket). Toss to coat evenly.
- Air fry until golden and crisp.
🍽️ Serving Ideas
- Serve with savory meals as a side dish. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese or vegan parmesan for additional flavor.
- Serve mixed into pasta with a favorite sauce.
- Toss into salads.
- Use as a pizza topping.
- Serve as an appetizer alongside a dipping sauce.
❓ Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! The air fryer cooks squash quickly, evenly and to a perfect texture.
Any thin-skinned, smaller summer squash varieties work well in this recipe.
You can store the cooked air fryer squash in an airtight container in the refrigerator. To reheat, place into an air fryer basket and reheat at 400F for 5 minutes or until warm throughout.
♨️ More Air Fryer Recipes You Might Like
Air Fryer Squash Recipe
- 1 yellow crookneck summer squash sliced into 1/4" slices
- 1 green zucchini squash sliced into 1/4" slices
- 1 tablespoon oil of choice I like to use avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal certified gluten-free if necessary
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- In an air fryer basket, add the squash, oil, cornmeal, salt and garlic powder. Toss to coat.
- Air fry at 425°F for 20 minutes or until the cornmeal breading starts to turn golden and crispy.