Last Updated on
A comforting Jackfruit Chili recipe with chickpeas and sweet potato for the Instant Pot electric pressure cooker. Vegan and gluten-free. With stovetop instructions!
I’ve really been falling in love with jackfruit lately. The texture is filling and satisfying and its ever so slightly sweet flavor really complements and enhances a large variety of savory dishes. I also really love a good chili! Alongside curry, it’s my favorite comfort food as the weather turns cooler. Jackfruit in chili is certainly one of my favorite new things now! It works very well! I hope you love it too.
What is Jackfruit?
Jackfruit is the fruit of a tree known as the jack tree indigenous to tropical regions of Asia. The not-so-ripe young jackfruit is most commonly used in vegan and vegetarian dishes such as this chili recipe due to its meat-like texture and rather neutral flavor.
- Super easy to make.
- Packed with wholesome, healthy ingredients.
- Rich and flavorful.
- Wonderful on its own, served alongside a variety of toppings or alongside rice or quinoa.
- Naturally gluten-free, vegan, dairy-free, nut-free, soy-free and refined sugar-free.
How-to Make Jackfruit Chili — Step by Step
FAQ — Tips, Tricks and Substitutions
More Chili Recipes You’ll Love
If you try this recipe please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, share this post, use Pinterest’s “tried it” feature, or take a photo, & tag me on Instagram and I’ll share it! Thank you so much! <3
Instant Pot Jackfruit Chili
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 white or yellow onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans) rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5-ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 10-ounce package or can young jackfruit no extra/added ingredients
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar or granulated sweetener of choice optional
- 1 sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro plus extra for garnishing
- sea salt or pink salt to taste
- chili toppings of choice optional
- Set electric pressure to saute mode. Add oil, onion, garlic and bell pepper. Saute for 5 minutes or until beginning to brown.
- Press cancel. Add chickpeas, tomatoes, jackfruit, coconut sugar, sweet potato, paprika, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and water/broth. Stir well.
- Place lid on pressure cooker and set to manual high pressure for 10 minutes. When 10 minutes are up, quick release pressure.
- Stir in lime and cilantro. Salt to taste.
- Serve on its own, with your favorite chili toppings, or over rice or quinoa. Enjoy!