A comforting Jackfruit Chili recipe with chickpeas and sweet potato for the Instant Pot electric pressure cooker. Vegan and gluten-free. With stovetop instructions!
I've really been falling in love with jackfruit lately. The texture is filling and satisfying and its ever-so-slightly sweet flavor really complements and enhances a large variety of savory dishes. I also really love a good chili! Alongside curry, it's my favorite comfort food as the weather turns cooler. Jackfruit in chili is certainly one of my favorite new things now! It works very well! I hope you love it too.
What is Jackfruit?
Jackfruit is the fruit of a tree known as the jack tree indigenous to tropical regions of Asia. The not-so-ripe young jackfruit is most commonly used in vegan and vegetarian dishes such as this chili recipe due to its meat-like texture and a rather neutral flavor.
- Super easy to make.
- Packed with wholesome, healthy ingredients.
- Rich and flavorful.
- Wonderful on its own, served alongside a variety of toppings or alongside rice or quinoa.
- Naturally gluten-free, vegan, dairy-free, nut-free, soy-free, and refined sugar-free.
How to Make Jackfruit Chili
Frequently Asked Questions
No! The combo of jackfruit alongside sweet potato and garbanzo beans really rounds out the flavors leaving the jackfruit to provide a lovely texture (and vitamin C!) above all else
It sure can! You simple complete the saute step over medium heat on the stove top, add remaining ingredients, and simmer until all is tender and your desired consistency is reached, around 20 minutes on average.
Most definitely! This chili works beautifully with canned/cooked pinto beans, black beans or any legumes of your choosing. You can also omit legumes altogether and add a few more sweet potatoes instead.
Yes! This chili can be frozen for up to 6 months and thawed in a pot over medium heat until warmed throughout. It also keeps in the fridge in air-tight containers for up to one week, making it a great meal prep choice.
More Chili Recipes You'll Love
If you try this recipe please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, share this post, use Pinterest’s “tried it” feature, or take a photo, & tag me on Instagram and I’ll share it! Thank you so much! <3
Instant Pot Jackfruit Chili
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 white or yellow onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans) rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5-ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 10-ounce package or can young jackfruit no extra/added ingredients
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar or granulated sweetener of choice optional
- 1 sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro plus extra for garnishing
- sea salt or pink salt to taste
- chili toppings of choice optional
- Set electric pressure to saute mode. Add oil, onion, garlic and bell pepper. Saute for 5 minutes or until beginning to brown.
- Press cancel. Add chickpeas, tomatoes, jackfruit, coconut sugar, sweet potato, paprika, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and water/broth. Stir well.
- Place lid on pressure cooker and set to manual high pressure for 10 minutes. When 10 minutes are up, quick release pressure.
- Stir in lime and cilantro. Salt to taste.
- Serve on its own, with your favorite chili toppings, or over rice or quinoa. Enjoy!