Super flavorful and aromatic Stuffed Acorn Squash Boats filled with quinoa, chickpeas, apricots and the perfect blend of spices for one easy, healthy and delicious meal. From my cookbook: "The Vegetarian Family Cookbook".
Acorn squash is highly underrated! It is easy to cook, super nutritious, flavorful and can be enjoyed a variety of ways. This Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash from my cookbook "The Vegetarian Family Cookbook", is one of my favorite ways to enjoy it! It is filled with rich, complex flavors that are salty, sweet and everything in between.
This Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash Dish is:
- Easy to make.
- Filled with rich and complex flavors.
- Nutritious and filling.
- Great as an entree or side dish.
Recipe FAQs — Variations, Tips, Storage
Can I use a different kind of squash?
Can I omit the cheese due to dietary concerns?
More Squash Recipes You Will Love
If you try this recipe please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, share this post, use Pinterest’s “tried it” feature, or take a photo, & tag me on Instagram and I’ll share it! Thank you so much! <3
Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash
- 2 acorn squashes halved, and seeds scooped out with a spoon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup quinoa uncooked and rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese plus more for topping
- 1/2 cup dried apricots chopped
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs gluten-free, if necessary
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Brush the 4 acorn squash halves with the olive oil and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and the pepper. Place cut-side down on a baking sheet.
- Roast for 20 minutes or until fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over high heat, combine the quinoa, water, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 12 minutes or until the water has been absorbed.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chickpeas, mozzarella, apricots, onion, parsley, lemon juice, oregano, smoked paprika, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, garlic, and honey. Stir well. Fold in the cooked quinoa.
- Flip the acorn squash halves cut-side up using tongs. Generously fill each half with the quinoa mixture, packing it down and shaping it with a spoon. Sprinkle each squash half with panko bread crumbs. Return to the oven for 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the bread crumbs are beginning to brown.
- Serve and enjoy!