Stuffed peppers are delicious as a meal on their own. But, if you're serving stuffed peppers for dinner, you might want to serve some tasty side dishes. Here are 23 delicious side dishes to go with stuffed peppers!
Stuffed peppers are a common yet delectable dish with variations in many cuisines. You prepare stuffed peppers by cutting off the tops of large peppers, hollowing out the peppers, filling them with vegetables, cheese, and sauce (typically tomato sauce), and then baking the peppers. It's an easy bake that is often low-carb, to boot.
Stuffed peppers are popular in many countries, and each country has its version of the dish. Nevertheless, they make a great side dish or main, depending on how filling the peppers are.
In the US, classic stuffed peppers consist of red, green, orange, or yellow bell peppers that are usually stuffed with rice, cheese, spices, eggs, tomato sauce, and spices. They are rich in vitamin C. Tex-Mex cuisine has jalapeño peppers, which consist of hollowed-out Jalapeño peppers filled with cheese and spices and then deep-fried. There are also taco stuffed peppers!
In Mexico, there is the chile Relleno, which translates to “stuffed pepper”. Chile Relleno consists of skinned and roasted Pasilla or Poblano peppers that are stuffed with queso fresco, covered in an egg-based batter, and then deep-fried.
India’s version of a stuffed pepper recipe is called Bharvan Mirch or Bharwan Mirch. The dish consists of bell peppers stuffed with potatoes and onions and seasoned with various spices such as chili powder, turmeric, coriander, and salt. Depending on the recipe, the peppers are either cooked in a frying pan or baked in an oven.
If you’re thinking about what to serve with stuffed peppers, you can go all out on the stuffing of your peppers and go light on the sides, or you can do it the other way around. Whichever way you go, you’re sure to end up with comfort food that will fill not just your stomach, but also your heart. Here are a few recipes for dishes that complement the taste of most stuffed peppers.
What Side Dishes Go with Stuffed Peppers?
Fabulous Stuffed Bell Pepper Recipes
What to Serve with Stuffed Peppers - Cheesy Pumpkin Polenta + More!
- 3 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup polenta corn grits
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 chipotle peppers diced
- 3 tsp adobo sauce from can of chipotle peppers
- 3 tbs pumpkin puree
- 1 tbs butter
- 2 tsp raw honey
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Garlic Roasted Veggies:
- 3 small zucchini quartered
- handful baby tomatoes halved
- 1 head of garlic cloves separated, paper left on
- pinch sea salt
- pinch ground black pepper
- pinch garlic powder
- olive oil to drizzle
- freshly chopped cilantro to garnish
- In a large saucepan bring water, grits, and salt to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer.
- Stir in peppers, adobo sauce, pumpkin, butter, honey and spices. Mix until smooth.
- Let simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes, or until water is absorbed and consistency is to your liking.
- Turn off heat, stir in cheese, cover and let sit for 5 minutes or until ready to eat.
- Salt to taste.
- To prepare your garlic roasted veggies preheat oven to 425°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Place your prepped veggies on your cookie sheet, sprinkle with spices, and drizzle with oil.
- Roast for 15-20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Fill a bowl with grits, top with veggies, squeeze garlic cloves out of skins, sprinkle with cilantro and enjoy!