This Gluten-Free Cauliflower Cheese is my GF spin on a traditional British dish. Perfect as a main course or side dish, this cheesy deliciousness makes for a delightful dose of comfort!
I watch my fair share of British cooking shows and Cauliflower Cheese has been on my list of things to test-cook for a long while now. I wanted to create a gluten-free version without too many bells and whistles to keep it in line with the traditional version of the dish. This recipe turned out ridiculously tasty and is a big hit with my family...kids and adults alike! I hope you and yours love it, too.
- Rich, creamy and flavorful.
- Super easy to make.
- Total comfort food.
- Works as a main dish or side dish.
- Gluten-free, vegetarian, nut-free and soy-free.
🔪 Recipe Steps
Step 1: Prepare cauliflower by slicing into florets and boiling in water until tender. Set aside.
Step 2: On the stovetop over medium heat add butter, garlic and bay leaf. Saute, then add flour to make a roux. Stir in remaining ingredients to make a creamy sauce.
Step 3: Preheat oven. Add cauliflower to the sauce and toss to coat. Place into a baking dish and sprinkle with gluten-free breadcrumbs and cheese.
Step 4: Bake, then enjoy!
Can I use a different cheese in this dish?
Yes. I find sharp cheddar to pair nicely with cauliflower and the addition of mustard, but nearly any cheese will work in this dish.
What kind of gluten-free flour should I use?
Can I use frozen cauliflower instead of fresh?
Yes, you can! Just be certain to drain extra well after boiling for best results.
Can I make this dish vegan?
Yes. Use plant-based milk and butter. For the cheese, I recommend using Miyokos shredded vegan cheddar for best results.
How do I store this dish?
This dish tastes best fresh out of the oven. It keeps well lightly covered at room temperature for about 4 hours. Any longer and I advise refrigerating it in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to one week. To reheat, place in a 400F oven until warmed throughout.
🍲 More Comfort Food Dishes You Might Enjoy
Gluten-Free Cauliflower Cheese
- 1 head cauliflower sliced into large florets
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 bay leaf dried
- ¼ cup gluten-free all purpose flour with or without xanthan gum
- 2 cups milk of choice we like oat
- 1 tablespoon mustard dijon, english or stoneground
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt or pink salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese plus extra (1-2 tablespoons) for sprinkling on top
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free breadcrumbs
- olive oil for greasing pan
- Prepare your head of cauliflower by slicing off the leafy end, then slicing (or breaking) into large florets. Place the cauliflower in a pot of salted water and gently boil for 5 minutes, or until fork-tender. Drain, then set aside.
- In a pot over medium heat add butter, minced garlic and the bay leaf. Saute for 2-3 minutes or until the garlic is turning golden. Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes longer, stirring frequently.
- Add milk and whisk frequently until the sauce begins to visibly thicken (1-2 minutes). Stir in mustard, salt and pepper. Turn off heat, then stir in shredded cheese until you have a nice thick and creamy cheese sauce. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Prepare a baking dish or pan by drizzling with a little olive oil. Add the cooked cauliflower to the cheese sauce. Toss to coat. Pour into prepared baking pan. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and 1-2 tablespoons of shredded cheese. Place into preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes or until all is golden and bubbly.
- Let cool a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!