This Savory Oatmeal with Zucchini is rich, flavorful, filling and packed with a good dose of veggies and protein. Gluten-free and vegetarian!
If you’ve yet to cross over to the savory side of oats, you are in for a pleasant surprise. This dish has an enjoyable creaminess and a hint of garlic that really ties it all together. This is a great way to sneak some zucchini into your family’s diets as well as some healthy fats and protein. This Savory Zucchini Oatmeal recipe can also be found in my cookbook “The Vegetarian Family Cookbook”.
You might be skeptical about eating your morning oats in a savory fashion, but let me to tell you, they are absolutely fabulous! The subtle hint of garlic paired with zucchini, cheese, eggs and avocado is an absolute match made in heaven taste-wise and something I think you will find yourself craving for mornings to come.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Quick and easy to make.
- Hearty and filling.
- A delicious flavor!
- Packed with wholesome, nutrient-dense ingredients.
- Gluten-free, nut-free, soy-free, vegetarian, no added sugar.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! You can omit or replace with dairy-free/vegan cheese.
Yes! If you do not eat eggs, this dish is still beautifully flavorful without them.
This dish cooks up quickly and tastes best made and served right away, but if you would like to make ahead of time, I recommend preparing it without the cheese and eggs, then storing in the airtight containers in the refrigerator. To reheat/prepare, heat on the stovetop over medium heat until warmed throughout, prepare the eggs, stir in the cheese, then top with the cooked eggs.
More Breakfast Recipes You Will Love
Want to make this a full-on breakfast?? Serve alongside these fried potatoes and onions!
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups rolled oats gluten free certified if necessary
- 2 zucchinis grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup shredded vegetarian Parmesan or cheddar cheese
- 2 avocados peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Hemp seeds optional
- In a saucepan over high heat, bring the water to a boil.
- Stir in the oats, zucchini, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- While the oats are cooking, prepare the eggs to your preference. Scrambled, fried, and soft boiled are all good choices. Set aside.
- When the oats are done cooking, turn off the heat, stir in the cheese, cover, and let sit for 1 minute.
- Divide the oats between 4 bowls. Top each bowl with 1 egg, a bit of sliced avocado, a sprinkle of parsley, and a pinch of hemp seeds (if using)