Amazing flavors and textures combine in this juicy & decadent gluten-free blackberry galette with a crispy polenta rustic pie crust. This rustic gluten-free blackberry pie is easy, healthy, delicious, gluten-free with a dairy-free option, too!
This beautiful galette is hands down one of the tastiest things I've ever made! The first bite, and I was sold.
I'm not sure if it's the perfect tart sweetness and juiciness of the blackberries touched by a kiss of cinnamon, or the amazingly divine crispy polenta crust that adds a wealth of flavor & texture to an already delicious pie filling. . .
But, one thing's for certain -- it's ridiculously tasty!
One of the things I liked most about this galette is how well the pie crust dough held together, rolled out, and certainly didn't act or taste as if it was missing gluten. What a treat!
Whether for yourself, your family, or for entertaining guests -- have no doubt that this wonderful galette will both impress and please the senses!
- Filled with a plump and juicy blackberry filling enveloped in a perfectly crisp gluten-free polenta pie crust.
- Easy to make.
- Super delicious.
- Hearty and filling.
- Gluten-free, soy-free, nut-free and refined sugar-free.
Tips for Making Rustic Gluten-Free Blackberry Pie
- I like to use this polenta for this particular pie crust, but any gluten-free cornmeal will do.
- Any gluten-free all purpose flour blend will work, either with or without xanthan gum.
- For a dairy-free version, the butter can be replaced with unrefined coconut oil.
- Any granulated sweetener can replace the coconut sugar, if need be.
- For a sugar-free / no sugar added version, I recommend this sugar-free sweetener.
- In a pinch, lemon juice can be replaced with apple cider vinegar, or be omitted.
- Do not skip the refrigeration step, this step ensures an easily rolled out crust with just the right texture upon baking.
- This delicious gluten-free galette keeps well lightly covered at room temperature for up to 36 hours or stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
More Gluten-Free Dessert Recipes
Triple Berry Crumble Pie With Almond Coconut Oat Crust (Gluten-Free, Vegan)
Gluten-Free Apple, Raspberry, & Coconut Cobbler
Strawberry Apple Crisp With Polenta (Gluten-Free, Vegan)
Blackberry Lemon Poppy Seed Crumble (Gluten-Free)
Gluten-Free Blackberry Galette
Rustic Pie Crust
- 1 cup polenta medium grind cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose gluten free flour
- 4 tbs coconut sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 1/2 cup butter thinly sliced
Blackberry Pie Filling
- 2 cups blackberries fresh or frozen
- 2 tbs coconut sugar
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 egg + 2 tbs water for egg wash
- 1 tbs coconut sugar for sprinkling on egg washed crust
- In a large mixing bowl, combine polenta, flour, sugar & salt. Stir until evenly mixed.
- Gently stir in your egg until all is moistened, followed by your cold water, using a spatula or your hands to mix and combine all until a dough forms.
- Fold in your sliced butter, knead a few times & then form your pie dough into a ball.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight, or at least 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place a cast iron skillet or pie dish into oven to warm up while you prepare your galette.
- In a large bowl, combine all filling ingredients. Toss to coat, set aside.
- Remove your pie crust dough from the fridge.
- On a lightly floured or parchment paper lined cutting board/countertop, flatten your dough ball into a circle using your hands.
- Sprinkle dough disc with a little polenta, take a rolling pin & gently roll out into a disc/circle large enough to cover your pie dish/skillet with a 1 1/2-2 inch overhang.
- Remove heated skillet/dish from preheated oven.
- Gently place your rolled out pie dough into your heated dish/skillet.
- Pour your berry filling evenly into center of pie dough.
- Starting with the right side overhang, gently fold dough over berries followed by the bottom, overlapping each side with the next. Being a rustic pie, it is okay if it isn't perfect, just try to evenly overlap your dough over the berries all the way around.
- Whisk 1 egg with 2 tbs of water to form an egg wash. Brush over edges & then sprinkle crust with 1 tbs coconut sugar.
- Place galette into oven and bake for 35 minutes, or until crust is golden brown & berries are bubbling.
- Let it cool & set at least 10 minutes before slicing & serving.
Leave a Reply