An easy, creamy, delicious Vegan Hazelnut Cream Cheese recipe that makes a fabulous plant based substitute for regular cream cheese spread. Naturally gluten-free.
I've really been looking forward to sharing this recipe for some time now! I was really craving my usual plant based cream cheese one day, but didn't have cashews on hand. Then this hazelnut version was born! And boy I am glad I did so. I actually prefer this version to cashew-based ones. There is a certain umami nuttiness that hazelnuts lend, that make this one unique vegan cream cheese recipe. You'll just have to see for yourself!
- Super creamy.
- Rich and flavorful.
- Easy to make.
- Nutrient dense.
- Naturally vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, soy-free.
Hazelnuts: This forms the base of this vegan cream cheese. Blanched and roasted hazelnuts seem to produce the best flavor, but raw hazelnuts will work well, too.
Lemon Juice: This adds the required acidity to most closely replicate a flavor similar to conventional cream cheese.
Coconut Cream: Coconut cream blends beautifully to add the necessary creaminess to this recipe.
Nutritional Yeast: This is a completely optional ingredient. I love it both with and without. Nutritional yeast adds another dimension of "cheesiness" to the recipe, but if you are not a fan of it, you will still have a delicious vegan cream cheese without it.
How-to Make Vegan Cream Cheese
Step 1: Soak the hazelnuts in boiling water for one hour. Drain
Step 2: Place the soaked and drained hazelnuts and remaining ingredients in a blender or food processor, then blend until smooth.
Step 3: Enjoy!
Do not skip soaking the hazelnuts. This is a necessary step in order to produce a smooth and creamy end result.
Can I use something other than hazelnuts?
Yes! If you really are not a fan of hazelnuts, you can use cashews or walnuts. If you're on a nut-free diet, you can use pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds, if need be. You will simply soak the nuts or seeds as instructed in the recipe.
How long does this keep?
Keep the prepared cream cheese in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
You can use this vegan cream cheese just as you would a conventional cream cheese. You can spread it on crackers, make a cream cheese icing, spread on a gluten free bagel recipe or use as a dip for crudités.
More Vegan Cheese Recipes
Vegan Cultured Pepper Jack Walnut Cheese
Creamy Vegan Hazelnut Cream Cheese
- 1 ½ cups roasted hazelnuts
- ½ cup water plus extra for the soaking step
- ¼ cup coconut cream
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice fresh or bottled
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or pink salt
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast completely optional
- Place the hazelnuts in a large bowl. Cover with boiling water. Let the hazelnuts sit and soak in the boiling water for at least one hour. Drain the hazelnuts, then set aside.
- In a blender or food processor, add the drained hazelnuts, water, coconut cream, lemon juice and salt. Optionally add nutritional yeast. Blend until as smooth as possible.
- Enjoy! Keep stored in the refrigerator for up 10 days.
Leave a Reply