These comforting Gluten-Free Pumpkin Scones are finished off with the perfect touch of chocolate chips and dusting of sea salt for one flavorful and healthily indulgent baked good perfect for those cozy autumn feels! Vegan, too.
I figured it high-time I share a scone recipe as I love them so much! They are fun and easy to make and versatile as they can be enjoyed as a breakfast, snack or dessert. This particular recipe is packed with big-time pumpkin and pumpkin spice flavor—they are just perfectly flavored (in my humble opinion)! I hope you love them too.
- Flavorful and wonderfully aromatic.
- Super easy to make.
- Can be enjoyed as breakfast, snack or dessert.
- Hearty and filling.
- Gluten-free, vegan, dairy-free, nut-free, soy-free and refined sugar-free (dependent upon the chocolate chips used!).
How-to Make Pumpkin Scones — Step by Step
Top Tips + Substitutions FAQ
More Pumpkin Recipes You Might Like
The Best Vegan Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pie
Healthy Pumpkin Hot Chocolate Recipe
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Snickerdoodles
If you try this recipe please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, share this post, use Pinterest’s “tried it” feature, or take a photo, & tag me on Instagram and I’ll share it! Thank you so much! <3
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Scones
- 3 cups gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar or granulated sweetener of choice
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice blend
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or pink salt
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree no added ingredients, just pumpkin
- 1/2 cup milk of choice I like to use oat milk, plus extra for brushing
- 1/2 cup coconut oil liquid/melted
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or liquid sweetener of choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips of choice
- coarse sea salt or flaked salt if not keen on looks, you can use regular sea salt for that salty finish!
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper then set aside. In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, pumpkin spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix well.
- In another large bowl combine pumpkin, milk, oil, maple syrup and vanilla. Whisk until smooth.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until a dough begins to form. Using your hands, knead the dough until smoothly combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Place the dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Form it into a circle of dough approximately 8 inches across. Flatten and shape with your hands into a disc approximately 1 inch thick. Slice the dough into 8 triangular slices. Brush with milk and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until firm and golden.
- Let cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!
hello! I made these the recently and was so stoked to find an allergy-friendly sweet treat to create. however, the scones fell a little flat- and I don't mean literally, although I did make my thinner and larger so maybe that contributed to my problems, but something in the texture was a little off (I may have over mixed the dough) and the taste of baking soda was detectable.
these scones looked beautiful, but mine didn't crisp up like a scone should, and they tasted nice, but something was a little off with flavor and consistency and I'm not sure quite where I went wrong!
Kristen Wood says
I'm so sorry to hear that! They should have crisp outsides for sure and a pillowy texture inside. Do you mind sharing what brand of flour you used? And if you made any modifications at all? Thanks! And sorry again!