This delicious Gluten Free Strawberry Shortcake recipe could not be easier to make! Perfectly pillowy shortcakes topped with sugared strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream. It makes the perfect summer dessert! Naturally egg free and refined sugar-free with a vegan and dairy-free option.
I’ve had it in my mind to create a good gluten-free strawberry shortcake recipe for some time now. The combination of flavors and textures in this dish are synonymous with summertime for me, and such a classic dessert to boot. Vanilla-scented biscuits contrasted with the freshness and vibrancy and subtly sugared strawberries is absolutely divine…wouldn’t you agree? I’m pretty pleased with this recipe and hope you enjoy it, too!
🍓 What’s to Love
- Super easy one-bowl prep recipe.
- Made with easily purchased, wholesome ingredients.
- Works with both fresh strawberries or frozen strawberries.
- Very flavorful and satisfying.
- Naturally egg-free, gluten-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free and nut-free, with a vegan and dairy-free option.
🥣 How-to Make
Step 1: Preheat oven and prepare baking sheet. Set aside.
Step 2: Combine dry ingredients. Cut in butter. Add milk and vanilla, then mix until a dough forms.
Step 3: Place rounds of shortcake batter onto prepared baking sheet. Bake.
Step 4: Meanwhile, prepare strawberries by combining them with sugar.
Step 5: When the gluten-free shortcakes are finished, let them cool for a few minutes before serving with sugared strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream. Enjoy!
For extra decadence, also top off these shortcakes with this 3-ingredient strawberry jam!
💭 Top Tips
Make it Vegan and Dairy-Free
To make this shortcake vegan and dairy-free, simple use vegan butter that you buy in stick form instead of regular butter. Alternatively, softened coconut oil can be used in a pinch.
Buy coconut milk whipped cream in the can from the store or make your own dairy-free whipped cream by whipping a can of coconut cream until it is whipped cream consistency.
Once you get this cake recipe down pat, experiment with different fruit for a fun twist. Swap the strawberries out for blueberries, peaches, raspberries or black berries instead!
❓ Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you most certainly can use frozen strawberries. Just make sure they are mostly thawed before mixing with the sugar, for best results.
Yes. The shortcakes themselves will keep lightly covered at room temperature for about 24 hours. Any longer, then store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days. You can also make the strawberries ahead of time and keep them stored in the fridge for up to 3 days as well.
🍰 More Gluten-Free Desserts You Might Love
Gluten Free Strawberry Shortcake
- 1 ½ cups gluten-free all purpose flour blend with xanthan gum
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoon coconut sugar or any granulated sugar divided (see recipe)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt or pink salt
- ¼ cup cold, cubed butter or plant-based butter
- ¾ cup milk of choice I like to use oat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract gluten-free certified, if necessary
- 1 pound sliced fresh (or thawed frozen) strawberries approximately 3 cups
- regular or dairy-free whipped cream for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Grease or line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, 1 tablespoon of sugar and salt. Mix well.
- Add the cold, cubed butter and using a pastry cutter or a fork, work the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the milk and vanilla. Mix until a smooth batter forms.
- Using a large spoon or ice cream scoop, scoop mounds of batter onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for 13 minutes or until bottoms are browning and tops are turning golden.
- Meanwhile, prepare strawberries by mixing the sliced strawberries with 2 tablespoons of sugar. Using your hands or a fork, mix and mash the strawberries a little to release their juices. Set aside.
- When the shortcakes are done, let them cool a few minutes. Serve shortcakes whole or sliced, topped with strawberry mixture and a dollop of whipped cream. Enjoy!