A flavorful Moroccan inspired Harissa Chickpeas dish delicately spiced with orange and fresh herbs. This spicy side dish is vegan, quick + easy to make and bursting with beautiful flavors!
I've been on a real harissa kick lately! I've been adding it to rice, quinoa, soups, chilis, and then there were these chickpeas. Ahh. These chickpeas. I'm not one to brag, but these Harissa Chickpeas are not only delicious, they are cannot-stop-eating-knock-your-socks-off kind of delicious. They are kinda my new favorite thing. And, I hope you find yourself enamored with them, too.
- Harissa Chickpeas
- What do I need to make Orange Spiced Harissa Chickpeas?
- How-to Make Harissa Chickpeas - Step by Step
- Top Tips for Making Moroccan Chickpeas
- What should I serve with Harissa Chickpeas?
- More Chickpea Recipes You Might Enjoy
These Moroccan Harissa Chickpeas are:
- Richly flavorful.
- Super quick and easy to make.
- Slightly spicy, fruity, smoky and fresh all rolled into one.
- Packed with fiber and protein.
- Versatile as a main, side or condiment-style dish.
- Vegan, dairy-free, soy-free, gluten-free, nut-free, grain-free, and naturally sweetened with fruit.
What do I need to make Orange Spiced Harissa Chickpeas?
- Garlic & onion.
- Harissa sauce.
- Orange juice & orange zest.
- Fresh herbs.
(Please note -- the full ingredients list and amounts can be found towards the bottom of this post in the recipe card)
How-to Make Harissa Chickpeas - Step by Step
- Saute onions and garlic.
- Add remaning ingredients.
- Simmer until thickened.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped herbs.
- Serve and enjoy!
Top Tips for Making Moroccan Chickpeas
Please note that this recipes uses harissa sauce, not the paste or the seasoning blend. This Moroccan Harissa is my favorite.
I prefer orange in this recipe, but for a fun variation, grapefruit or lemon juice/zest can be used this recipe as a suitable substitution for the orange zest and juice.
I do recommend using smoked paprika as opposed to Hungarian paprika in this recipe. The smokiness greatly complements the harissa sauce.
Any variety of chopped fresh herbs works well in this recipe. I like to use a combination of cilantro, dill and basil. But fresh mint, thyme and parsley work well, too!
Not a fan of garbanzo beans (chickpeas)? White beans work as a beautiful substitution.
What should I serve with Harissa Chickpeas?
If you try this recipe please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, share this post, use Pinterest’s “tried it” feature, or take a photo, & tag me on Instagram and I’ll share it! Thank you so much! <3
Herbed Orange Harissa Chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon avocado olive or grapeseed oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 10 ounces cooked or canned chickpeas rinsed and drained (approx. 1 1/2 cups or 250 grams)
- 1/4 cup orange juice unsweetened, fresh or organic (approx. 60 ml)
- 3 teaspoons harissa sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- fresh cilantro basil and/or dill herbs, chopped (approx. 1/4 cup or so)
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, saute while stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, juice, harissa, orange zest, cumin, and paprika. Allow to come to a simmer over medium heat.
- Simmer for 2-5 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated and all has thickened.
- Give a sprinkle of salt/salt to taste.
- Top with fresh chopped herbs before serving.