This easy and tender buttered sautéed leeks recipe makes the perfect quick and tasty side dish when in need of both comfort and nutrition.
❤️ Why You Will Love This Recipe
- This is a quick and easy side dish recipe, perfect for those busy weeknights.
- Sauteed leeks are tender, buttery, and truly comforting.
- These buttered leeks pack a big flavor, yet are more subtle than raw leeks, for instance.
- Like onions, leeks can be used and served in a large variety of ways.
- These tender leek slices are packed with nutrients like vitamins A, C, and K.
- They have a melt-in-your-mouth buttery taste.
- Naturally vegetarian, gluten-free, soy-free, and nut-free, with a vegan and dairy-free option.
🥬 Ingredients and Substitutes
Olive oil: Using olive oil in addition to butter helps prevent the butter from burning and also contributes depth of flavor.
Non-toxic + truly non-stick!
Butter: You can use salted or unsalted butter in this recipe with similar results. If you are vegan or dairy-free, you can use plant-based butter instead.
Leeks: Leeks are in the Allium family alongside shallots, onions, chives, and garlic. They have an onion-like flavor but are a bit more subdued and complex. Try to purchase vibrant, firm leeks for this recipe.
Non-toxic + truly non-stick!
Garlic: A touch of minced garlic, not only enhances the flavor of the leeks but really works well with the butter in this recipe, adding overall complexity to the dish.
Salt and pepper: A touch of salt and pepper works well with just about any vegetable side dish and these sauteed leeks are no exception.
Lemon juice: My secret ingredient, lemon juice not only helps tenderize the leeks but adds a really nice flavor in combination with the other ingredients. If you do not have lemon juice, you can omit it or use any vinegar you have on hand instead.
🔪 How to Saute Leeks
- Start by sauteing the garlic in olive oil and butter until golden.
- Then, add the remaining ingredients to the pan and stir, while sauteeing for about 8 minutes or until the leeks are nice and tender.
🍽️ Serving Ideas
- Use sauteed leeks alongside cheese in a cheese quesadilla (trust me on this one!).
- Use sauteed leeks in a frittata or omelet.
- Sprinkle sauteed leeks over a baked potato.
- Serve sauteed leeks over soups or stews.
- Fold sauteed leeks into a favorite pasta dish.
- Top with shredded parmesan cheese and chopped fresh herbs for something a bit extra!
- Use buttered leeks as a salad topping.
❓ Frequently Asked Questions
While the entire leek is fully edible, the dark green leaves of the leek are bitter and hard to chew. The white and light green parts are far more agreeable.
While sauteed leeks taste their best when served right away, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
🍴 More Tasty Vegetable Side Dishes You Might Like
Buttered Sautéed Leeks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 leeks, dark green tops removed white and light green parts thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a skillet over medium heat, add the butter, olive oil and garlic.
- Saute for 2 minutes, or until the garlic turns golden brown.
- Add the sliced leeks, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Saute the leeks, stirring frequently, until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, serve and enjoy!
I love simple recipes like these that highlight fresh produce beautifully. So easy to make and so good.
This sautéed leeks recipe is so useful! I love making this recipe as a base for my other recipes such as soups, braised meats, and stews. So many great cooking ideas in this post.
This was really easy and delicious. I mixed the leeks into cooked pasta with a little pasta water - wonderful! Great way to prepare leeks that isn't just soup.
I loooooove leeks but had no idea that they were so easy to prepare! I'm going to be making these buttered leeks often because they're delish!