Disclaimer: You will find affiliate links for the products I use and love on this blog. I will earn from any purchases you make from these links, but it is at no extra cost to you. I appreciate your support!
A cozy and comforting Vegetarian Stew recipe filled with rich flavors and a silky-smooth texture. Gluten-free and vegan!
I figured it high-time I share my favorite Vegetarian Stew recipe! This hearty bowl of goodness has some nice tender chunks of veggies with a silky-smooth stew base I just know you are going to love!
- Vegan, vegetarian, dairy-free, nut-free, gluten-free, soy-free and refined sugar-free.
- Chunky and smooth all the same!
- Salty, sweet and zesty.
- Super easy to make.
- Makes great leftovers or meal prep food.
🥘 Ingredient Notes
Chunky veggies: What's a stew without a bit of chunk? We're using carrots and sweet potatoes here as the base, but feel free to swap out for your favorite chunks of vegetables.
Spices: The savory spice blend used in this stew recipe really complements a variety of vegetables and pairs perfectly with our secret ingredient (below!).
Dijon Mustard: Yes, mustard! Conventional stews tend to use vinegar but I find swapping the vinegar for mustard to add a nice dash of additional flavor that is positively zesty and delicious!
Tapioca starch: This is what adds that thickened texture that sets stews apart from soups! It can be swapped out for your starch of choice in a pinch.
For full ingredients list and instructions, see the recipe card towards the bottom of this post.
🔪 How-to Make
Step 1: Sauté onion and garlic.
Step 2: Add spices, tomatoes, carrots, sweet potatoes and broth/water
Step 3: Simmer.
Step 4: Stir in tapioca starch/water and mustard.
Step 5: Simmer a bit longer.
Step 6: Salt to taste and enjoy!
💭 Tips, Tricks and FAQ
Why tapioca starch?
Tapioca starch helps thicken the texture of this dish giving it that "stew-like" feel! Any starch can be used to replace the tapioca variety in this recipe. Corn starch and arrowroot are my two favorite replacements.
Let it thicken.
This dish will continue to thicken as it cools, so do not be concerned if it is still soup-like when you pull it off the stove.
If you want to add additional heartiness to this dish, tofu or tempeh can be added for the last 5 minutes of cooking time!
Do you like spice?
Add a pinch of red chili flakes if you like your comfort food on the spicy side.
🥣 How-to Serve
- On its own (it's perfectly delicious as is!).
- Serve over rice or quinoa.
- Serve with crusty bread, pita bread, or naan.
- With crushed crackers or tortilla chips.
- A sprinkle of cheese, sour cream or plain yogurt.
♨️ How-to Store and Reheat
Fridge: This soups keeps in air tight containers in the refrigerator for up to one week. To reheat simply heat on the stovetop over medium heat until warmed throughout.
Freezer: Store in freezer safe containers for up to 6 months. To reheat, you can let it thaw mostly before reheating over medium heat. Or you can heat it frozen over low heat until warmed throughout.
🍲 More Comforting Recipes You Will Enjoy
Vegetarian Stew Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 white or yellow onion thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 3 sweet potatoes chopped into 1" cubes
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup baby carrots or 1 cup roughly chopped regular carrots
- 1 bay leaf dried
- 3/4 teaspoon dried crushed rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika make sure it's the smoked variety!
- 5 cups water or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch mixed into 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- sea salt or pink salt to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat add oil, onion and garlic. Saute for 10 minutes or until onions are beginning to caramelize a little.
- Add sweet potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, bay leaf, rosemary, oregano, thyme, paprika and vegetable broth/water. Turn heat to high, bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to a simmer (med-low). Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add tapioca starch/water mixture and mustard. Mix well and simmer 5 minutes longer or until thickened slightly (it will continue thicken when the heat is turned off).
- Turn off heat, salt to taste, serve and enjoy!