This creamy Vegan Potato Soup can be made in the Instant Pot or on the stovetop for ease and convenience! Naturally vegan and gluten-free, with a vegetarian option. This delicious recipe can also be found in my cookbook The Vegetarian Family Cookbook.
This is a recipe I’ve been making for years and most certainly had to include in my cookbook, The Vegetarian Family Cookbook! And I’m so happy to be sharing it here now, too. This is such an easy soup to throw together, but I also really love how while it’s perfectly flavorful on its own, it’s also easily customizable by adding any toppings of your choosing. You can also have it with this Parmesan Roasted Broccoli. It is a family staple around here and I hope it becomes yours, too!
- Perfectly flavorful.
- Easy to make.
- Creamy and comforting.
- Can be made your own with your choice of toppings.
- Vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, nut-free and soy-free.
🥘 Ingredient Notes
Onion, garlic, celery, carrots: These veggies form the delicious flavor base for this soup recipe. I do not recommend omitting or substituting.
Potatoes: I prefer the Russet variety in this recipe, but golden or red potatoes will work in a pinch.
Coconut Milk: This creates the delicious creaminess you will find in this potato soup. If you are not vegan or dairy-free, heavy cream or whole milk can be used for very similar results.
Spices, oil: The spices are pretty key in this recipe, so I do not recommend omitting or substituting, but if you are on an oil-free diet, you can omit the oil!
Scallions (green onions): Green onions really complement the other flavors in this dish and make the perfect garnish, but they can be omitted if you do not like them or have on hand.
For full ingredients list and instructions, refer to the recipe card toward the bottom of this post.
💭 FAQ and Top Tips
How do I store and reheat this soup?
This soup can be stored in airtight containers in the fridge for up to one week, or 4 months in the freezer. To reheat, place the soup in a pot on the stovetop over medium heat until warmed throughout (yes, even if frozen!).
Top it Off
Have fun customizing this soup to suit your tastes. While it is perfectly flavorful on its own, here are some of our favorite ways to mix it up when the mood strikes:
- Drizzle with hot sauce.
- Top with crushed crackers or tortillas chips.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese (vegan or conventional).
- Top with sliced avocado.
Chunky or Smooth
This creamy soup tastes great as is (a little chunky), or blended with an immersion or conventional blender for a super smooth soup. Make it your own!
🍲 More Delicious Soup Recipes
If you try this recipe please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, share this post, use Pinterest’s “tried it” feature, or take a photo, & tag me on Instagram and I’ll share it! Thank you so much! <3
Creamy Vegan Potato Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 1 carrot sliced
- 8 Russet potatoes peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 cups vegetable broth or water
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 13.5-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- Sea salt
- Sliced scallions (green onions) for garnish
- In a large pot over medium heat, combine the oil, onion, and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the celery, carrot, potatoes, vegetable broth, thyme, garlic powder, and pepper. Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil, then cover and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Stir in the coconut milk, and add salt to taste. Optionally, you can blend the soup with an immersion blender for a smoother consistency.
- Garnish with sliced scallions before serving.
Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker Instructions
- Use the sauté function to sauté the oil, onion, and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients aside from coconut milk and salt.
- Set the pressure cooker to manual high pressure for 11 minutes.
- Quick release pressure, stir in the coconut milk, and salt to taste. Optionally garnish with scallions before serving.