Last Updated on
This easy Gluten-Free Carrot Cake recipe makes for one moist and fluffy carrot cake that is also dairy-free, refined sugar-free, requires only one bowl to make, and is topped with a healthy and delicious Orange Coconut Butter Glaze!
Carrot Cake is one of those things that I crave when I’m in the mood for a ‘real’ dessert. The fluffiness and warming spices of carrot cake are hard to beat! I’ve made several versions of this one over the years, but the base remains the same. A blend of tapioca and buckwheat flours is hard to beat when it comes to gluten-free baking!
This particular Carrot Cake, as written, is a pretty basic version with room for customizing to fit your needs. The Coconut Butter Glaze with a hint of orange is really my healthy version of a frosting or icing, adding just enough creaminess and sweetness to round out the cake, but not with the overpowering sweetness of conventional carrot cake toppings. You’ll find orange to greatly complement the flavors of carrot cake, too!
This Gluten-Free Carrot Cake is:
Gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, soy-free, refined sugar-free.
Super easy to make!
A simple one-layer cake, requiring just one bowl, no fancy equipment, and very little time to make!
Fragrant and flavorful with the perfect blend of cinnamon, cloves and orange and coconut notes.
Easily customizable (see ‘Tips’ in the post below).
Slices and stores like a dream!
Tips for making Gluten Free + Dairy-Free Carrot Cake:
Due to the unique nature of buckwheat flour, I do not recommend substituting it with anything else.
I have not tested it, but I do think the egg in this recipe could be replaced with a flax egg for a vegan carrot cake recipe.
You can add up to 1/2 cup of the following add-ins for some fun variations: shredded coconut, chopped walnuts, regular or golden raisins, chocolate chips or chopped pineapple.
If you prefer it, you can replace the coconut oil with melted butter or the maple syrup with honey.
Be certain to let the cake cool completely before applying the glaze for best results.
This cake stores well covered at room temperature for up to 3 days. It can also be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days (but past that point it starts to dry out a little).
For an alternative cake topper, this carrot cake pairs well with my Maple Coconut Buttercream Frosting, too!
More Gluten-Free Desserts You Might Enjoy:
I SO hope you enjoy this Gluten-Free Carrot Cake Recipe! I can’t wait to hear what you think! Thank you for stopping by! xo.
If you try this recipe please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, share this post, use Pinterest’s “tried it” feature, or take a photo, & tag me on Instagram and I’ll share it! Thank you so much! <3
Gluten-Free Carrot Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup + 2 1/2 tablespoons buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- Orange Coconut Butter Glaze:
- [3 tablespoons coconut butter]
- 1 tablespoon coconut yogurt or any yogurt you prefer
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon raw honey or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a very non-stick round cake pan or line with parchment paper, set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, sift together flours, sugar, spices, baking powder and baking soda. Stir well.
- Pour in oil, maple syrup, orange juice and eggs.
- Whisk swiftly until all is incorporated and smooth.
- Fold in shredded carrots (and any optional add-ins see Tips above in post).
- Bake for 35 minutes or until firm and a toothpick inserted in the center pulls out clean.
- While your cake is baking combine glaze ingredients in a bowl. Whisk until smooth and place in the refrigerator until your cake is baked and fully cooled.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place on a wire rack until completely cooled.
- When your cake is cool, use a spoon to spread the glaze on top.
- Optionally, sprinkle with shredded carrots, crushed walnuts or shredded coconut.