This easy recipe for Gluten-Free Graham Crackers is also vegan, dairy-free, refined sugar-free, and made with a blend of tapioca and buckwheat flour for a deliciously healthy version of store-bought varieties. Whether for snacking, making a cheesecake crust, s’mores, or simply a healthy treat, this easy and healthy graham crackers recipe is certain to become a household staple in no time!
My kiddos love graham crackers, so I set out to make a healthier and more affordable version of what we purchase from the store. Sweetened only with coconut sugar, these delicious gluten-free graham crackers will satisfy your cravings without an ounce of guilt!
These Gluten-Free Graham Crackers are:
Crunchy and flavorful.
Super easy to make!
Packed with delicious warming spices and easy to find ingredients.
Gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, soy-free, nut-free and refined sugar-free.
Tips for making Gluten-Free Graham Crackers:
Due to the unique nature of buckwheat flour, I do not recommend replacing it with anything else.
The coconut oil can be replaced by melted butter, ghee, or olive oil.
Want to make Sugar-Free Graham Crackers? I like to use this sugar-free sweetener for replacing coconut sugar in baked goods.
Want to make Honey Grahams? Replace the coconut sugar with raw honey.
I do not recommend skipping the refrigeration step, as this is what will make the dough easier to roll out and work with.
I also do not recommend rolling the dough without the use or parchment or wax paper. It is a somewhat sticky dough, and the paper will allow you to roll it out with ease.
You can roll the dough out as thinly or thickly as you would prefer; just keep in mind you may need to cook longer for thicker crackers and for a shorter period of time for thin crackers. Just make sure all is firm, golden and edges are just beginning to brown before removing from the oven.
These gluten-free graham crackers store well in air-tight containers at room temperature for up to 5 days.
What equipment do I need to make Graham Crackers?
More Gluten-Free + Vegan Baking Recipes:
If you try this recipe please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, share this post, use Pinterest's "tried it" feature, or take a photo, & tag me on Instagram and I'll share it! Thank you so much! <3
Gluten-Free Graham Crackers
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 5 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup milk I use almond, but any dairy or non-dairy milk is fine
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- Optional: turbinado sugar for sprinkling on top
- In a large mixing bowl sift together flours, sugar, spices and baking soda. Stir to combine.
- Pour in milk and stir in until thoroughly combined.
- Pour in coconut oil and then using your hands, quickly work the oil into the dough.
- Knead the dough until all is thoroughly combined and you are able to form a uniform ball.
- Cover the dough and place into the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove your dough ball from the refrigerator and place it on your parchment lined pan. Flatten the dough with your hands and then cover with a second sheet of parchment paper.
- Using a rolling pin, gently roll out the dough, making sure it remains between the two sheets of parchment, until the dough is 1/4-1/2 inch thick.
- Slowly peel away the top layer of parchment paper.
- Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, slice the dough into shapes of choice.
- Using a fork, prick the tops of the crackers to create little holes.
- Optionally, sprinkle the tops with a little turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the edges are just beginning to brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely before breaking along your cut marks and serving.