Last Updated on
Cozy up with this quick, easy, & tasty one pot spicy coconut red lentil dahl that is made with red lentils, coconut milk, tomatoes, garlic, onion and the perfect blend of Indian spices. It makes a most delicious gluten-free, vegan dish served alongside some basmati rice or naan bread! You can make this easy dal in the Instant Pot pressure cooker or on the stovetop!
Red lentils are a staple in our household and I’m always whipping up some version of a curried dal (dahl or daal)!
And, most of all, it must be spicy! We love our spice.
You can have this scrumptious, comforting and filling dish on the table in only 40 minutes, and best of all? You only need one pot!
It’s incredibly versatile and does well served alongside rice, quinoa, millet or any bread of choice. And dare I say that it tastes even better leftover? Yep. The flavors only continue to mature in time. You’ll love it. I promise!
This Spicy Red Lentil Dahl is:
Super easy to make.
Hearty and filling.
Healthy and nutritious.
Truly creamy and comforting.
Filled with the perfect blend of spices for an amazing flavor profile.
Vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, nut-free, refined sugar-free.
Tips for making Spicy Coconut Dal:
For a sugar-free version, the coconut sugar can be omitted or replace with a sugar-free sweetener such as this one.
The coconut milk adds some great creaminess, but in a pinch, it can be replaced with any dairy or non-dairy milk of choice.
The tomatoes can be replaced with two freshly chopped tomatoes for similar results.
This recipe is strictly for red lentils. I do not recommend replacing them with any other kind of lentils.
Like a lot of spice? Bump the red chili flakes up to 3/4 teaspoon.
Not a fan of spicy? Cut down or omit the red chili flakes.
Store leftover dhal in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 10 days. Reheat on the stovetop over low heat, stirring frequently until warmed throughout.
This dal tastes great served over rice, quinoa, millet or alongside naan bread.
More Vegan Indian Dishes You Might Enjoy:
This delicious dahl dish is truly a comforting and delicious staple of ours that could not be easier to make! We hope you love it, too. Enjoy. xo.
If you try this recipe please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, share this post, use Pinterest’s “tried it” feature, or take a photo, & tag me on Instagram and I’ll share it! Thank you so much! <3
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 1 white or yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup red lentils, dry
- 3 cups water
- 1 tbs shredded coconut
- 1 tbs coconut sugar
- 1 tbs curry powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 400mL can full fat coconut milk
- 1 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- to taste, sea salt
- Heat coconut oil in a large pot or deep skillet over medium heat.
- Saute onion and garlic for 5 minutes or until onions are clear and beginning to brown on edges.
- Turn heat to high and add lentils and water.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce to simmer.
- Simmer for 25-30 minutes or until most of the water is absorbed.
- Stir in shredded coconut, coconut sugar, spices, coconut milk and tomatoes.
- Simmer over medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes or until desired consistency is achieved.
- Salt to taste.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Instant Pot Method
- Turn on saute function on pressure cooker.
- Place oil, garlic and onion into pot. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Press ‘Cancel’.
- Stir in lentils, 2 cups water, coconut, sugar, spices, and tomatoes (omit the coconut milk!).
- Secure the lid and set on manual high pressure for 10 minutes. Let the pressure naturally release for 10 more minutes.
- Release the pressure and remove the lid.
- Stir in coconut milk. Salt to taste.
- Serve as is, or if you desire a thicker, creamier dal, press saute and saute until desired consistency. Keep in mind a dal will thicken as it cools.
- Serve and enjoy!
Please see the 'Tips' section above in the post for more information.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 366Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 24gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 416mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 8gSugar: 8gProtein: 8g