Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. This blog generates income through affiliate links at no extra cost to you.
This super quick, easy and flavorful Butternut Squash Curry can be made in an Instant Pot pressure cooker (in just about 10 minutes!) or the stovetop for ease and convenience! This delicious spicy vegan curry dish can be enjoyed on it own, or served over rice or quinoa, for a healthy and comforting autumn meal! Naturally vegan.
Here we go with another curry, folks! My ultimate comfort food addiction! This particular curry is so super simple and quick & easy to throw together, yet bursting with BIG flavor! I absolutely adore this spice blend and the subtle sweetness of the butternut squash poking through in this Indian inspired dish. I hope you do, too!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Simple, quick, easy and healthy!
- Super hearty and comforting.
- Filled with delicious heart-warming spices.
- Versatile, and can be enjoyed a variety of ways.
- Vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, nut-free, soy-free, and refined sugar-free.
What Ingredients are Needed to Make Butternut Squash Curry?
- Butternut squash.
- Onion & garlic.
- Green chile.
- A special spice blend.
- Water or vegetable broth.
- Coconut sugar
- Sea salt.
- Optional mixed greens.
(Note: please see full recipe card towards bottom of post for full recipe ingredients, amounts, and method.)
How to Make Butternut Squash Curry (Instant Pot) - Step by Step
- Prep butternut squash (or use frozen).
2. Saute onion, garlic, and chile.
3. Prep spices.
4. Add spices and butternut squash.
5. Add broth or water.
6. Cook on manual high pressure for 4 minutes. Quick release, then stir in salt, greens and vinegar.
How to Serve
- On its own.
- Over a bed of rice, quinoa, or millet.
- Over cauliflower rice.
- In wraps.
- With naan bread.
- Not a fan of spicy?
This butternut squash curry is a touch on the spicy side. If you are not a fan of spicy, you can omit the green chile and red chili flakes for still tasty results!
- Choose your acid
You can use lemon or lime juice in place of apple cider vinegar for very similar results.
- Store it
This butternut squash curry keeps well in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Common Recipe Questions
- Can I omit the coconut sugar?
Yes. You can omit the coconut sugar, or use honey, maple syrup, cane sugar or a sugar free sweetener as an alternative!
More Vegan Curry Recipes
Butternut Squash Curry (Stovetop + Instant Pot)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 green chile chopped (raw or roasted Hatch, or raw jalapeno or serrano)
- 1 butternut squash peeled and cubed or 4 cups frozen cubed squash
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 2 1/2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 large handful mixed greens optional
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- sea salt or pink salt to taste
- Set Instant Pot to saute mode. Add oil, onion, garlic and chile. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add butternut squash and spices (curry powder through red chili flakes).
- Stir in water or broth.
- Set to manual high pressure for 4 minutes.
- When time is up, quick release pressure and stir in vinegar, greens and then salt to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!
- In a pot over medium heat saute onion, garlic and chile in coconut oil.
- Add squash and spices.
- Stir in broth or water.
- Bring to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, or until squash is tender, adding more liquid if necessary.
- Serve and enjoy!