Disclaimer: You will find affiliate links for the products I use and love on this blog. I will earn from any purchases you make from these links, but it is at no extra cost to you. I appreciate your support!
Super easy and delicious Mozzarella Sticks in an Air Fryer! It doesn't get any tastier than this. These Gluten-Free Mozzarella Sticks have the perfect crispy outside and ooey-gooey insides!
My kids love themselves a good mozzarella stick so I set out to make a gluten-free variety in the air fryer. Firstly, the air fryer truly makes the fastest, tastiest and easiest mozzarella stick known to man. And secondly, you would never guess that these are gluten-free....which is always a win in my book!
- Super easy to make.
- Very flavorful outer crispy coating.
- The perfect comfort food!
- Great on its own or as a starter, appetizer or finger food for kiddos!
- Gluten-free, soy-free, nut-free.
🥘 Ingredient Notes
String cheese: This takes a lot of the fuss out of making mozzarella sticks! We simply halve store-bought string cheese for this recipe and not only is it easier, it is the perfect size, too!
Gluten-free breadcrumbs: Fortunately, gluten-free breadcrumbs are easily found and purchased at most grocery stores (and Amazon!) these days. The breadcrumbs in this recipe are responsible for the delicious crispy coating. I prefer the gluten-free panko variety, but absolutely any kind will work.
Eggs: Coating the mozzarella in egg is what binds the breadcrumb coating and isn't something that can be easily skipped. If you are on an egg-free diet, you can dip the mozzarella in milk before coating in bread crumbs, but it takes a bit more patience to get properly coated.
Spices: A few simple spices add big flavor to these delicious mozzarella sticks!
🔪 How-to Make
Step 1: Gather what you need to coat the mozzarella sticks in.
Step 2: Slice the mozzarella sticks in half.
Step 3: Using one mozzarella stick half at at time, coat in flour, followed by egg, followed by breadcrumbs. Place on a flat tray or baking sheet and repeat with remaining mozzarella.
Step 4: Place coated mozzarella sticks in the freezer for 10 minutes.
Step 5: Remove from the freezer and repeat coating steps sans flour. Place back onto tray or baking sheet.
Step 6: Place into freezer 10 minutes longer.
Step 7: Remove from the freezer, place into air fryer basket or tray, spray with a little oil (optional) and air fry for only 7 minutes.
Step 8: Serve with a favorite dipping sauce and enjoy!
💭 FAQ and Top Tips
Can I make these mozzarella sticks with vegan cheese and without egg?
Yes! You can make these mozzarella sticks with vegan mozzarella cut into bite-sized pieces and dipped into milk instead of egg and gluten-free + vegan breadcrumbs.
Can I store these mozzarella sticks or make them ahead of time?
Yes! If you would like to prepare these ahead of time so you have them on hand when needed, simply place the prepared, uncooked mozzarella sticks in a freezer safe container and keep stored in the freezer for up to 4 months. Simply pop in the air fryer as instructed when ready to enjoy. If you've already cooked these mozzarella sticks, you can store them in the fridge in air-tight containers for up to 5 days and reheat in an air fryer or convention oven at 350F until warmed throughout.
🧂 How-to Serve
These delicious air fryer mozzarella sticks are perfectly flavorful on their own or alongside a favorite dipping sauce. We love our Vegan BBQ or Romesco sauce, but marinara sauce or ranch are great options, too!
🍳 More Tasty Air Fryer Recipes
Gluten-Free Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- Prepare ingredients by placing flour in one bowl, one beaten egg in another and breadcrumbs in another. Slice mozzarella sticks in half.
- Using one mozzarella stick half at a time, coat in flour, followed by egg, followed by breadcrumbs. Place on a flat tray or baking sheet. Repeat with remaining mozzarella. Place the tray or sheet into the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the mozzarella sticks from the freezer and coat one more time in only egg, followed by breadcrumbs. Place back onto the sheet or tray and freeze for 10 minutes longer. Preheat air fryer to 380°F.
- Remove the mozzarella sticks from the freezer and place into air fryer basket or tray. Optionally, spray with a little oil. Air fry for 7 minutes or until beginning to turn golden.
- Let cool a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!